Homegroup help needed

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
We have a few devices in the house, we used to have a Homegroup on the network, but since I re-installed W10 PRO on my main desktop PC I haven't been able to join the homegroup.

Basically I get "Couldn't join the homegroup from this PC, I know the password is correct. I also can't join from my HP Stream 7 running normal W10.

My SP3 was on the homegroup and working fine, so was my wife's SP and my boys laptop and games PC.

I have been through my settings, the network is fully functioning and I just set up my printer (Plugged into my PC) on the network as a shared device and have printed from my wife's Surface Pro.

I have done a complete network shut down, on the ones that were working I had them all leave the homegroup and at first they said there was no homegroup on the network, but they have since come up with "You have been invited to join a homegroup but now they can't join as there isn't one.

Really at a loss although as my wife can now print it's not an issue anyway, just don't like unsolved problems.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Tried it several times and the network one, no results, just "Can't join a homegroup on this PC".

Just went through to my boys room and set up the printer the "Old fashioned way" and it can also print.

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I had something similar with the Workgroup on my PC that worked fine with Windows 7 but stopped working with Windows 10. I looked in Computer Management, Services and Applications, Services, and found that the HomeGroup Listener wasn't running. I started the service and the network has been fine since. Once you start it running, it takes a minute or two to get up and running with all of the networked PCs.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just looked and both services mentioning Homegroup are running, it sees that I have a homegroup (Well it did before I got every PC to leave it) so it would say I was invited, just when I actually tried to join, "COMPUTER SAY NO".

Now it says there is no homegroup, would you like to create one, and COMPUTER STILL SAY NO.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to chime in here. My homegroup was working fine until I took my computers up to Preview FAST track. I'm now on 14388.

On my main desktop, it tells me I can join the homegroup on MASTERPUTER which is the name of the machine I am on. This is the computer that actually created the homegroup. It should be a member, but ... that's not how it works. So I tried to do it and it goes into a forever internal search mode. Other computers also see their is a Homegroup on the network, but they are not allowed to join either.j

I did try to find the password displayed by the computer, but it's not there. I also tried to shut down the Homegroup ( disconnect ) but there is no option for that. The diagnostics troubleshooter finds nothing.

Looking for suggestions ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon