Can I put a shortcut icon on my desktop to shut down my computer?

Agunat

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
The subject line says it all: "Can I put a shortcut icon on my desktop to shut down my computer?". I assume you can do this. Instructions please.

Thanks in advance... Bob

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Try this:

Right click on an empty space on the desktop, then click New - Shortcut. In the box that pops up, type the following:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

This should give you a double click shortcut to shutdown. Alternatively, you can drag this shortcut icon to your task bar, and you'll have a single click shutdown.

Let us know if you get it working!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course I always just do the Win + D, Alt + f4 then hit enter thing on the keyboard. No grabbing the mouse neccasary.

Agunat

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. That works great. 3 related evolutionary questions please. 1. I'm a wimp. Can we make it single click instead of double click to activate the shortcut? Can I customized the appearance of the icon? What command would I give the shortcut if I wanted to make one that would restart instead of shut down?

Thanks in advance... Bob (any idea why I'm not getting an email when there is a replay to my post?)

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
1. I don't think so, unless you've it on the taskbar. Or else it would take effect system-wide(which I don't think you would prefer).
2. Properties > Shortcut > Change Icon
3. /r instead of /s
4. Thread Tools(Just above your opening post) > Subscribe to this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb