Migrate from Windows 8.1 Phone to Windows 10 Phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Migrate from Windows 8.1 Phone to Windows 10 Phone

I have a Lumia 822 with an SD card running Windows 8.1 Update (Denim). Since Verizon has now approved Windows 10 Mobile for the Lumia 735, I just ordered and received a new 735 with an SD card.
My Question, Do I bring up the 735 as is, migrate my 822 config from backup and then upgrade the phone to Windows 10?
OR
Power up the phone as is, perform the Windows 10 upgrade and then migrate my 822 configuration?

Thanks in advance

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Migrate from Windows 8.1 Phone to Windows 10 Phone

I have a Lumia 822 with an SD card running Windows 8.1 Update (Denim). Since Verizon has now approved Windows 10 Mobile for the Lumia 735, I just ordered and received a new 735 with an SD card.
My Question, Do I bring up the 735 as is, migrate my 822 config from backup and then upgrade the phone to Windows 10?
OR
Power up the phone as is, perform the Windows 10 upgrade and then migrate my 822 configuration?

Thanks in advance

when you say configuration, I'm assuming this is about settings and start screen layout and such

I would recommend starting the phone, signing in with your account but not restoring any backup except for contacts and messages. Get the upgrade advisor app from store, install it, open it and follow instructions on downloading windows 10
After updating to windows 10, check for updates again
Then check for app updates and finish those
Then download your own apps - you can check in store for your history
Then add your email accounts, sign in to apps etc

If you experience any major issues, share them here so we can help

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

itsmelyf

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I upgraded my Lumia 1520 from 8.1 to the latest build 10.0.10586.420.
I use the upgrade advisor without hard resetting my unit.
Done also updating all available applications update.

Everything is fine except the application tiles cannot be resize or move.
While I'm trying to tap the app icon instead of allowing me to drag or unpin/pin it will automatically go to the other program running.
No specific what program comes out but those program randomly selected in the background.
Then if I switch back by clicking the start button I also found out that there is a certain delay.
Need to wait before a fast response if I open some application.

Need help of this problem so that I can adjust my application icon on my Lumia 1520 home screen.

Thank you.

itsmelyf

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Done also installing all application available update.

While I'm trying to tap the app icon instead of allowing me to drag or unpin/pin it will automatically go to the other program running.
No specific what program comes out but those program randomly selected in the background.
Then if I switch back by clicking the start button I also found out that there is a certain delay.

Need help of this problem for me to be able to adjust my application icon on my Lumia 1520 home screen.

Thank you.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Done also installing all application available update.

Need help of this problem for me to be able to adjust my application icon on my Lumia 1520 home screen.

Thank you.

isn't resizing and moving a tile done by long pressing the tile and then when it starts hovering you move it or resize it?

itsmelyf

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Yahh .. I tried long press but it will open other application .. the icon cannot be move or resize .. no small sign to resize or unpin the icon .. in my Lumia 535 its ok I also upgraded that from 8.1 to wm10 but I can resize and move the icon even making a group on it ..

Than you.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yahh .. I tried long press but it will open other application .. the icon cannot be move or resize .. no small sign to resize or unpin the icon .. in my Lumia 535 its ok I also upgraded that from 8.1 to wm10 but I can resize and move the icon even making a group on it ..

Than you.

try a soft reset for starters
Change display scaling and see if that changes anything

itsmelyf

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan ..thanks of your reply.
I tried the soft reset by pressing hold volume down and the power button until it off and vibrate.
After restarting my phone .. the app icon still cannot move and resize.
I have question if I'm going to perform a Hard Reset of my phone it will erase everything and the version is already a Windows Mobile 10 not the previous 8.1.
Now I'm thinking of do I have to wait on the next update maybe this bugs corrected or hard resetting my phone. I'm just balance how important the app icon resizing or moving its not big deal for me as long as those important app is run normally.

But if you have solution to correct this issue I'm thankful of that in advance.

Thank you.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan ..thanks of your reply.
I tried the soft reset by pressing hold volume down and the power button until it off and vibrate.
After restarting my phone .. the app icon still cannot move and resize.
I have question if I'm going to perform a Hard Reset of my phone it will erase everything and the version is already a Windows Mobile 10 not the previous 8.1.
Now I'm thinking of do I have to wait on the next update maybe this bugs corrected or hard resetting my phone. I'm just balance how important the app icon resizing or moving its not big deal for me as long as those important app is run normally.

But if you have solution to correct this issue I'm thankful of that in advance.

Thank you.

hard reset will keep the same version of windows 10 mobile on your phone, it will not take you back to 8.1

I recommend waiting for the next update

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen