Can you install the Windows 10 upgrade on a different HD?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Can you install the windows 10 upgrade on a different HD

I would like to install the windows 10 upgrade on a different hard drive is that possible? I just got a new SD and would like to install the upgrade on their. With win 7 on my old HD.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can you install the windows 10 upgrade on a different HD

I would like to install the windows 10 upgrade on a different hard drive is that possible? I just got a new SD and would like to install the upgrade on their. With win 7 on my old HD.

if it's the same pc, I don't think so

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes.

Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to create an ISO file ("for another PC" would be the option to select) then burn the ISO to a DVD. You must make sure you create an ISO for the correct version of Windows 10 (ex: If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, choose Windows 10 Home)

After that, boot from the DVD and install Windows 10 on your new Hard Drive. When it asks for a product key, use your Windows 7 product key (you must use Windows 10 version 1511 (10586) for your Windows 7 product key to work and must use it before July 29th, 2016 when the free upgrade ends.)

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can you install the windows 10 upgrade on a different HD

I was running W10 Preview before the release. Did an in-place upgrade to W0 from W7 on the existing hard drive. Then installed a new SSD and performed a clean W10 install. W10 Activated just fine.

I believe you can upgrade components (Hard Drive, Video Card, Memory, etc). I know you cannot replace a motherboard, and I'm not sure about processor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos