Your Windows 10 Anniversary Review

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Problems I have from a clean install with ISO:

Store keeps showing the same updates for installed apps. Even if I update and then check like the next day, they will just show up again. Tried "resetting" the store app and same problem.

Inkspace sometimes does not launch after using it. If I launchs something from inkspace with the pen, use it, then close it and try to launch with the pen again, nothing happens. Even if I click on icon in the task bar it does not launch. Only way to get it to launch is to restart the pc.

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Used the normal install via windows update on my SP4. All good for a day, then... Edge got really slow. Cortana stopped working. Various apps either stopped working or got very slow. Using keyboard massive lagging. Have had enough and gone back to 1511 build. Not very impressed...

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Everything is great. I got 2 updates last night as one was a security update and a Windows 10 update to the Anniversary Update. I also noticed I can now text using SMS from Cortana to my Android phone. I used to be able to do this with the AT&T app but it was discontinued back during Windows 7.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
At home, ok, broke a few minor apps that worked fine before but, I found a work-around for 2 of the 3 of them... otherwise seems ok.

At work is a different story

I've been testing Windows 10 at the company I am at, all was good till the Anniversary update came down (That will be a critical update at some point). It broke a VERY critical application, We are at the newest version of it. No update at this point for the application. The new systems that are coming in (48 of them) will be dropping from Windows 10 to Windows 7 because of this.

Time is money, If this cant be addressed within about 2 weeks, all 48 of these machines will be deployed with Windows 7 (no way on Windows 8). We need the machines in production, not sitting on a shelf waiting for Microsoft to fix a bug.

So, so far, not impressed...

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
At home, ok, broke a few minor apps that worked fine before but, I found a work-around for 2 of the 3 of them... otherwise seems ok.

At work is a different story

I've been testing Windows 10 at the company I am at, all was good till the Anniversary update came down (That will be a critical update at some point). It broke a VERY critical application, We are at the newest version of it. No update at this point for the application. The new systems that are coming in (48 of them) will be dropping from Windows 10 to Windows 7 because of this.

Time is money, If this cant be addressed within about 2 weeks, all 48 of these machines will be deployed with Windows 7 (no way on Windows 8). We need the machines in production, not sitting on a shelf waiting for Microsoft to fix a bug.

So, so far, not impressed...
Are you using pro or enterprise at work? If so there are options to forestall the anniversary update as little as 4 months and even longer. You will still get security and bug fixes for a while and there is time for MS and app developers to work out the problems. Just pointing that it is an option.

airwaybill

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I just went in to settings-windows update=check for updates. I selected the anniversary update and update now. I had to received updates to make my PC current before the windows anniversary update loaded. My updates took approximately 3 hours. I like the results a lot. Glad I did it.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My wife's laptop got updated. Her entire desktop was wiped out. Most apps are gone! WTF!

Update: got caught, again. Some updates have a habit of not, completely, finishing. When I stopped panicking, a remembered that, sometimes, the update does not do the final reboot. I rebooted and everything seems to be back.

Further update: The Start screen was a complete mess! Stuff all over the place, but worst of all, things missing. Things like Mail, Calendar, etc! When I right clicked on these apps, in the Apps list, the option to unpin from Start was there. So, it thought they were on the Start screen! So, I unpinned them and pinned them again and they reappeared. So much for 'everything is where you left it'. My wife, like many, is not very technical. Things like this have left her with a really bad impression of the update.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The update didn't rock my world nor did it do any harm.

All I know is that EDGE is still problematic so I've continued not using it.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
What are the problems, exactly?
For me personally, Edge is a little wonky (forgive the term) at times. In addition, it just lacks quite a bit in terms of security settings and/or extensions. Firefox and chrome have a multitude of extensions/add-ons for better security and numerous other things. IE has a great deal of security settings built right in (not to mention group policy settings for this on pro or above) and at least a much better selection of add-ons even if not at the level of other third party browsers.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The update didn't rock my world nor did it do any harm.

All I know is that EDGE is still problematic so I've continued not using it.
The update did not bring in anything that I would call a game changer except for future possibilities (maybe???) with Edge. But it is the little tweaks made throughout that I enjoy.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving the Anniversary Update. It makes my SP4 feel like a brand new update. Having Cortana on the Lock screen is great. What I really appreciate though is that I can now receive notifications and texts from my Galaxy Note 5 on my SP4. This full integration is amazing, especially seeing that I left WP 7 months ago and have been missing this feature.

This update also shows me the potential that W10 could have for mobile as well. I haven't watched the Anniversary Update video for mobile yet, but I hope some improvements were made. For me though, the app gap is just to big to overcome, though I do love the UI of W10 and W10 Mobile.

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Anniversary update is great on my laptop. Runs smoothly and apps launch a bit faster now. Minor glitches like on the Settings app, whenever I try to open the Systems menu, the app crashes. However, the AU broke my 950 XL. I don't know if it was cumulative update on the Insider Fast Ring (the .5 update) that broke it or the firmware update (enabling the phone to have the much-needed double-tap-to-wake feature). All I know is that the battery started swelling and frequent shutdowns/restarts happened.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Anniversary update is great on my laptop. Runs smoothly and apps launch a bit faster now. Minor glitches like on the Settings app, whenever I try to open the Systems menu, the app crashes. However, the AU broke my 950 XL. I don't know if it was cumulative update on the Insider Fast Ring (the .5 update) that broke it or the firmware update (enabling the phone to have the much-needed double-tap-to-wake feature). All I know is that the battery started swelling and frequent shutdowns/restarts happened.
If your battery is swelling, quit using it and replace it immediately. Your hardware issues are battery related. The battery is dangerous to use at this point. Any lithium battery that is swelling is bad and continued use could truly damage your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss