My boy finally updated to 10

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It took almost a year, only six months to go, only three months, only four weeks to go, don't leave it to the last week, the servers could be busy, don't forget we are away at least one weekend, and finally he gets round to it...........................

I wonder what percentage of this last years upgrades are done in this last week?

I also wonder how many wait till it's too late and then see Windows 10 and kick themselves?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
MS will probably release another report saying we now have xxx million devices on windows 10. I'm betting on at least 400 million devices

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
LOL. Had an office mate trying to update over this last weekend. Came to see me Monday about issues getting it to take. He literally tried everything. Fresh install of W7, disconnect of various hardware, and upgrade with freshly downloaded W10 on thumb drive. He ultimately had to call MS for assistance and he said he was on hold for more than 1 hour. That was Monday evening. I can only imagine what the next few days will be like. Tried to convince him 6 months ago right after I did my upgrade (waited for major bugs to be squashed) and again after the latest major version update.

I think you are correct that some hold outs will kick themselves later. I think W10 is the best OS by MS so far in terms of usability. After the W8 fiasco, they actually started listening to their customers and have been taking steps to make W10 better with each update. As long as they continue to listen, future updates will be icing on the cake.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
LOL. Had an office mate trying to update over this last weekend. Came to see me Monday about issues getting it to take. He literally tried everything. Fresh install of W7, disconnect of various hardware, and upgrade with freshly downloaded W10 on thumb drive. He ultimately had to call MS for assistance and he said he was on hold for more than 1 hour. That was Monday evening. I can only imagine what the next few days will be like. Tried to convince him 6 months ago right after I did my upgrade (waited for major bugs to be squashed) and again after the latest major version update.

I think you are correct that some hold outs will kick themselves later. I think W10 is the best OS by MS so far in terms of usability. After the W8 fiasco, they actually started listening to their customers and have been taking steps to make W10 better with each update. As long as they continue to listen, future updates will be icing on the cake.

I believe most of the issues with that was the fact that the start button went missing

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I believe most of the issues with that was the fact that the start button went missing
True. The lack of the start button was a factor. And let us not forget that running both store apps and desktop software simultaneously was a chore with the only option to view side by side was split screen.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
Originally Posted by aybarrap1

Yea, I never understood that. Why people like to have the start screen crunched down into a tiny bottom-left portion of the monitor I have no clue. I mean, whilst looking at the start screen what do they want to use the rest of the monitor for exactly? Personally I like to make it useful by filling it with start screen. I can't see why anyone would want to keep most of the screen filled with a desktop they can't use without cancelling the start screen anyway.

And yet, the need for a compacted start screen has led to the whole touch infrastructure being mangled in an attempt to 'fix' it. Sigh.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I never understood that. Why people like to have the start screen crunched down into a tiny bottom-left portion of the monitor I have no clue. I mean, whilst looking at the start screen what do they want to use the rest of the monitor for exactly? Personally I like to make it useful by filling it with start screen. I can't see why anyone would want to keep most of the screen filled with a desktop they can't use without cancelling the start screen anyway.

And yet, the need for a compacted start screen has led to the whole touch infrastructure being mangled in an attempt to 'fix' it. Sigh.

some people use the desktop like they use their rooms - cluttered mess of desktop icons, files, shortcuts and what not :winktongue:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I can understand your sentiments. However, I can see the other side too.

Keep in mind not everyone is using touchscreen. The majority of desktops and some laptops are in this category. The start screen in Windows 8 started out bring not very friendly with a mouse and keyboard. This made a lot of people hate the new metro interface. If you had a touchscreen, especially on a tablet, it was great. Then there is the fact that in general, people have a tendency to resist change. For the most part on my desktop I use that compacted menu. With a large monitor and high resolution, i don't have to move the mouse all over the place. I pin apps and programs I use heavily to the right side and use submenues fit the rest. This is much easier on the multitasking aspect. On my tablet the metro interface is what I always use.

As far as my desktop, I have 3 icons: computer, my user folder, and recycle bin. I like my cycling pictures as backgrounds.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your sentiments. However, I can see the other side too.

Keep in mind not everyone is using touchscreen. The majority of desktops and some laptops are in this category. The start screen in Windows 8 started out bring not very friendly with a mouse and keyboard. This made a lot of people hate the new metro interface. If you had a touchscreen, especially on a tablet, it was great. Then there is the fact that in general, people have a tendency to resist change. For the most part on my desktop I use that compacted menu. With a large monitor and high resolution, i don't have to move the mouse all over the place. I pin apps and programs I use heavily to the right side and use submenues fit the rest. This is much easier on the multitasking aspect. On my tablet the metro interface is what I always use.

As far as my desktop, I have 3 icons: computer, my user folder, and recycle bin. I like my cycling pictures as backgrounds.

I wasn't talking about using a touch screen save for noting that they mangled the touch interface as a by-product (though I have several examples of both m+kb and touch device). All I'm saying is that crunching the start screen down to a small size in the corner of the monitor, on a desktop m+kb driven PC, doesn't seem overly useful. Mainly because it is completely impossible to interact with the rest of the screen content without dismissing the start menu anyway. So why shrink the start screen down to a tiny area in the bottom left hand corner? You tell us you can see the other side, but offer little as to how making the start menu miniature is in any way useful. Touch or mouse, it seems to make little difference. The full start screen is in every way just better, as far as I can see. You do mention keeping mouse movement down on a big screen, but I suggest with a screen that big you should be using touch as mouse is not ideal for such a huge space. Still, if a small start menu is useful to avoid excessive mouse movement, why would you keep all your icons way over on the right? Surely if icons on the right are convenient as you suggest, then tiles on the right would be equally convenient?

On balance, it sounds like you need a smaller monitor (or try adjusting the scaling) as yours seems an impractical size for your purposes. Perhaps several smaller monitors and multiple desktops would be better?

One use, I suppose. If a person is using the massive Microsoft Windows Hub device with a mouse, it might take quite some effort to move across the whole start screen. A miniature start menu could be handy in that situation. However, if this shrunken menu was added purely to benefit that somewhat niche market then I'm a monkey's uncle. We think Windows Phone has a small footprint, how may MS Hub devices actually exist I wonder?

Last edited:

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
It took almost a year, only six months to go, only three months, only four weeks to go, don't leave it to the last week, the servers could be busy, don't forget we are away at least one weekend, and finally he gets round to it...........................

I wonder what percentage of this last years upgrades are done in this last week?

I also wonder how many wait till it's too late and then see Windows 10 and kick themselves?

i saw the count down but decided to leave it. Im currently running widows 7 with 2GB RAM and i had a feeling the computer would be slower on 10. I'm sure its a very high percentage of people who upgraded in the last few days. Free is FREE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte