Has the anniversary update been buggy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I was so excited to install the Anniversary Update today on my Surface Pro 4. After 10 mins of use it became obvious the update is very buggy.

The Action Center crashes all the time, I cant dismiss the popup notifications.

Edge crashes way more often cant can no longer load some sites to the point it is useable.

Extensions are unable to install despite following the guidance the site.

Generally the System is slower.

I have now rolled back the update. Microsoft this is bad...real bad. Might trade in my Surface Pro for a Mac.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol don't you think that's a bit extreme? trading in?

In any case, it would have been better if you decided to refresh the build.. settings > update > recovery

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
OK, after rolling back and reinstalling things seem to be better. Will keep you posted.

Going to try installing an edge extension now.....god help me.

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
It's irresponsible to suggest other users might experience these issues. They're most likely specific to your system. If you try to upgrade a junk install of any OS you can expect problems later.

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
What I am not running a junk install, it's a clean version running on a Surface Pro 4. Standard build upgraded using windows update.

It looks like I got the same issues again now action centre won't launch and start menu won't load.

This upgrade is a joke...my last resort is to do a clean install and install all my apps again. PAINFUL!

Originally posted by owensdj
It's irresponsible to suggest other users might experience these issues. They're most likely specific to your system. If you try to upgrade a junk install of any OS you can expect problems later.

stevemind66

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Updates are like swings and roundabouts guys! I'm sure nothings 100% in the world of updating! IOS and Androids have their fair share of complaints. You choose to update, but why get upset? Lots of impatient people here.
Just saying

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Yep, my 3 month old Asus Lamborghini is in the local pc shop, tried to update and got stuck at 65%, nothing would restart it etc, pulled battery everything this really is another catastrophic mess from MS. A top of the range machine with 10 onboard now a brick, hopefully only temporary but this is me on my way out with windows, over a year in the making and this is what's happening, I'm not alone, forums are littered with people having the same trouble. Not good. A shame but they really don't seem to have grasped their own concept.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Just finished updating via ISO.
I used Rufus method to create bootable USB (just to be safe).
You can install the update without transferring the ISO to usb, just open the ISO in the hard drive, it will automatically mount on a virtual drive, open it and double click setup.

Update was smooth and pc booted up.
Cortana, edge extensions and all other features are working fine.
Apps are all working (no crashes). Love the new interface. Surprised to see the new defender icon.

So many people reporting problems while updating through the windows update.
I used the ISO for 1511 update as well.
I never use windows update for big update.
This is what I think, I may be wrong.
Windows update downloads each and every file individually so there are chances of files getting corrupted.(download getting interrupted).
People with high bandwidth might not find this to be a problem.
I have a 1Mbps slow connection and I am not risking it.
By downloading the ISO, it is a resumable link. You are able to download and pause as you wish.
And all the files are safe inside the ISO file.

IMHO people who got issues updating, I recommend using the ISO for a smooth update.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...are-download%2Fwindows10ISO%2F&token=gcB0XeEO

The official non insider ISO gives you the version 14393.0 (without the cumulative updates .5 and .10)
You can download the cumulative updates which are relatively small in size later via windows update.

update.png

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Update works fine on my 2 in 1 Asus tablet, there are just some hardware bugs which have been around earlier as well and don't have any connections with software.

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes think I will be doing an iso update an blitz my Surface Pro 4. Either way this not a good experience for me.

Imagine people who upgraded to Windows 10 last week and then go on to install the Anniversary update to find their PC is now buggy...enough said.

It looks like there are a lot of corrupt installations MS should do a better job of detecting these before install.

FiJPM

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Edge
Can not install Edge extensions all other things seem to work.
It installs them first, but then failure.
Anyone know hot to fix this or shall I continue using Firefox.
Cheers
J

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Updated through Windows Update on my SP4, SP3, Intel Compute Stick, and gaming rig (Asus MB) - all went smoothly.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Experiencing Intermittent Freezes when using start menu or taskbar or any program. Then you are in the same boat as me, I installed windows 10 on my crucial ssd and the constant random freezes is really bugging me. Both clean install and upgrade doesn't matter. So after a countless hours of trying to fix the problem, I thought of removing the new cumulative update as a last resort to see if this could solve the problem and to my surprise it actually did.

MS you f******g ruined the Redstone build with the crappy cumulative update.

Solution :
Remove the update KB3176929 from the build and it will work as smooth as a butter. I don't know if it would work for you people but it worked for me. Give it a try. Trust me :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It works fine for me but I get horrible keyboard lag randomly. Sometimes at the login screen so I can't even login to my machine without using the on-screen keyboard. It's really random, no pattern and when I do notice it, it obviously affects me since I happen to be typing.

MS has not had a good track record with updates due to the nature of all these different devices out there with different configurations. But this tells you that there is something they need to change about the OS if software can affect it so much. Windows 10 was their opportunity to move away from registry and possibly into something a bit cleaner and better, but I guess that would be too much work.

So they control the hardware/drivers for their own surface line, it should be the same experience across all devices right? Nope. And why is that? Likely it's based on some software someone installed or who knows. Why can't they handle that better? Does the upgrade process get messed because it expected some registry entry but software changed it? It just makes no sense that they can't handle these situations but simply make assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss