windows 10 update from version 1511 to 1607 anniversary update - does not update

Nelson Davis

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello all.

Running windows 10 pro 64 bit.

I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607.
Or at least, I thought I did.

The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system still shows OS Version 1511.

Used update again, same thing, rebooted, 1511.

Went to the windows site, downloaded the windows10upgrade9252.exe, ran it, same exact issue, rebooted, still showing version 1511.

Error logs show no issues. Disabled all external drives, turned off anti-virus, etc, repeated, rinsed, rebooted, still version 1511.

Only think I've not done is burned an ISO to DVD and updated from that.

Any clues as to what's going on?

Thanks!
Nelson Davis

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Can you check to see what OS version you have? Check in settings > system > OS build. It should show something like 14393.5 or 14393.10

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Version 1511.
OS Build 10586.494

That's the strangest thing I've heard. Do you sit and watch the entire process? Or do you step away from your pc at some point in time? Because clearly the update is failing somewhere and rolling back at some point throughout the process.

Needless to say, I would recommend to boot from ISO.

You can also maybe try refreshing your pc (keep files if you want) , then try to update again through windows update.

Nelson Davis

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
HI. I sat during the entire process, three times. All seemed well. No error messages, nothing in the error logs.....baffling. I made a disc from the ISO. will give that a shot later and see what happens.

Siamak Sarmady

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I have 1511-10586.164. I upgrade in place (from a USB)...

The upgrade process seems to go smoothly and after the last restart when I log in, it prepares my account and then I check and see nothing has been upgraded. It even removes 2 of my programs during the process....

I checked the log files and I cannot find a serious problem... Or perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? Is there a program that can filter and show me the important lines of those upgrade logs?

Oh, btw I tried 2 times... If I can at least find an error I can look somewhere...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Does the start menu not change? Is the all apps list on the left? It could just be a bug with reporting the version.

Did you have enough space for the download install?

Try going to Disk Cleanup and clear all regular files/system files which should include the temp install of windows. It may have an older version sitting in the temp install directory. Possibly when it downloads the new one the directory is changed to something else and it just causes it to re-install the original one.
Just a thought.

Uj Valentin

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, the update starts OK, PC restarts and it updates to 35%, it restarts again and updates to 70 or 75% where it restarts again, and than it reverts back to 1511 but no error message or a reason to fail update.

Siamak Sarmady

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Oh, I removed some apps, cleaned up registry with cclean and cleaned up disk... I tried again and now I get these errors in my diagerr.xml

Perhaps others get some errors in this file too

Attachments

• diagerr.xml.txt
    26.4 KB · Views: 14

Uj Valentin

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded the ISO (Win10_1607_English_x64), burned it on disc and updated from disc, it worked, it takes longer to update but it`s all OK.

Nic Wilson1

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I have just done two laptops and two VM's every one has this same issue, download is fine, update is fine, no errors, after reboot version is 1511, going back into updates, shows no updates available.

Nic Wilson1

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I have since downloaded the ISO and ran that on the laptops, it went through the entire long install as any windows install does, asks the same questions, and finally completed, On completion both machines still show 1511 even after the iso update

Nelson Davis

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
My issue is fixed. Some commonalities I saw in other posting on the web were regarding external hard drives and/or other bootable drives. I have one drive I use for cloning with a great program called Reflect. That one is inside the case. I also have three external hard drives attached via usb or e-sata. I turned off the drives outside the case, did NOT fix the issue. Turned off PC, disconnected power to the internal cloned drive (also kept the external drives powered off) and using an ISO image of 1607 burned to a disc, used that to upgrade. Worked like a charm. So it was the internal cloned drive causing the issue.

dr_ravindra99

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
hi nelson, you contact Micro Soft online Service Support,
support microsoft.com/help
their team shall surely resolve your issue, they very nice international highly intellectual group of software hardware engineers,
they have resolve my win10 error issue by connecting my pc via remote system with their pc & guided step by step successfully,
i have teclast x3 pro multi task tablet which was inbuilt win10 1511 version & Micro Soft Technical Team has updatyed to win 10 1607 latest version, it may take 1 or 2 days coz, update version takes 10 to 12 hrs to download in your pc with technical guidance from MicroSoft Tech staff, they shall do it them selves by using your pc remote pc connection, they shall check your system step by step, then they shall surely resolve your error issue
thanks, hope like me you too shall enjoy with latest version of win 10 1607 version
[Link removed by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Time-Bandit

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I need to use the Linux BASH command line feature and version 1511 does not have it. When asked to look for upgrades it says that I have the most recent version.

I have an SSD drive for C: with my documents stored on spinning media D:. I read where upgrading to anniversary edition can crash such systems. Perhaps they are not allowing the upgrade for my own protection?

Win10-version.JPG

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! That's great to hear. Looks like your good to go! Good for you. I'm glad to hear the anniversary .exe worked for you!:wink:
Pass it forward!:grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria