How is notification synchronization working for you?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OMG.. I just got a text message simultaneously on me pc and my phone for the first time in weeks, or ever. Could it be that build 14393.103 squashed some notification bugs?

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, a couple days later, and notifications have still been hit or miss for me. Sometimes they arrive on time, sometimes late, and sometimes not at all. I don't think I've ever seen a notification (e.g. Cortana reminder) on one device dismiss on its own after I dismiss on another device.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It can be hit or miss not always reliable. I find theres a few times notifications don't come through for whatever reason

Sent from mTalk

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Does hitting "Clear All" not dismiss the notifications universally? I cleared some email and notifications on one of my computers, but it is still showing up on another one. I thought maybe it was just delayed, but after 30 minutes, it still isn't auto-clearing. Do I have to swipe them away, or X on each one of them to get the true universal dismiss?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Does hitting "Clear All" not dismiss the notifications universally? I cleared some email and notifications on one of my computers, but it is still showing up on another one. I thought maybe it was just delayed, but after 30 minutes, it still isn't auto-clearing. Do I have to swipe them away, or X on each one of them to get the true universal dismiss?
the universal dismiss never seem to work for me

Sent from mTalk

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, mine works on my PC (I don't have a Win Phone anymore), through Cortana notifications from my phone and others.

In some ways, it almost works "too good' now; if I'm not careful I can dismiss things I wanted to see, and now have to figure out how to track down, particularly if they're from a variety of sources.

On the messages coming through, at least on text-messages, I'm getting close to 100% with current builds. Occasionally I see one on my phone that doesn't make it over, but I'd say it's at least 95%, probably higher.

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Mine doesn't at all. I have a L640DS with latest Win10Mo build, a surface pro 3 and a mediacenter, all with AU and I have to dismiss notifications in all devices every time. I honestly don't want to proceed with a format, i'll keep it like this for now.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I just dismissed a text from the action center on my PC, and the notification disappeared from my phone. Looks like this might actually be working now!

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Joe, what about, I don't know, facebook notifications? Or MSN news alerts? Do they dismiss universally if you have the app both in your win10 mobile and win 10 pc?
I just noticed all notifications sent by Cortana like missed calls (and sms before they were handled by skype preview) usually dismiss. All the others don't.

EDITED for Correction: It doesn't work even with Cortana notification. I uninstalled FB from a pc, and I got the notification from the phone. It was labelled under "Cortana Windows Phone". I dismissed from the PC but it's still on the phone after 10 minutes.

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine work with most "Live" alerts, things that get sync'd via Cortana, or Live, from what I can tell.
I can dismiss calendar alerts, texts, and emails, and they reflect on various devices. How a device (non-Windows) deals with the message will probably vary a LOT though. I definitely don't get the same "level" of consistency that I had, with my 950XL (now that I'm using an Android phone, with Cortana).

Cortana on my Android (6.01) tablet is almost a waste of time, I had to manually install, and it rarely syncs anything. If I cared more, I'd debug it, but realistically the AT&T messaging app on my tablet works better anyway, and the built-in calendar works decently too; I don't really care if they're somewhat disjoint.

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Found out that the Cortana app on Android has additional permission settings to allow sending SMS and a few others that make it work better for responding to notifications (both through Cortana voice actions, and via the message that pops up in the notification center). Enabled the rest by going to Apps > Cortana > Permissions.

Once I enabled everything, things are syncing up much better now:
Screenshot_20161017-202102.jpg

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I think android handles universal dismiss (if exists) differently than windows mobile, being another ecosystem.
In android everything is handled by Cortana, in windows it requires lines of codes in the app.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Joe, what about, I don't know, facebook notifications? Or MSN news alerts? Do they dismiss universally if you have the app both in your win10 mobile and win 10 pc?
TBH I haven't seen it work with anything other than text messages. I actively disabled whatsapp beta notifications on the PC (got a little busy..), but weirdly there are very few other apps in the notification sync settings.

On the PC I only see these phone apps available for notification sync
- Alarms
- missed calls
- messaging
- Bank of America
- Notiny (uninstalled from phone and PC, why does it show here?)
- Share to speech
- Strawberry weather (uninstalled, why does it show?)

I have only the first four toggled on, and I don't recall seeing a BofA notification in a while on the PC. So maybe that means those do universally dismiss. Seeing those setting is still hit or miss BTW, wish MS would fix that.

On the phone I have 38 options under notification sync, with 15 active. Something is not working.. Wait, I'm probably being dumb here: you have to have the same app installed on PC and phone.. right? Somehow I thought Windows could just synchronize banners from the notification center, but it makes sense that the app needs to be on both devices. I would RTFM, but I don't know where the FM is posted. :)

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hey joe thanks for the feedback.
To my knowledge, only applications who sent a notification appears on the PC phone apps list. You always need a notification first, then you can toggle in on or off on the pc. I noticed that when i first started syncing, since i have a Dual Sim i had the Personal SIM listed but not the Business SIM because i hadn't received a text with that SIM yet. I sent myself a message and it popped out in the settings.
I also noticed you don't see an application listed if you already installed it in your PC. Skype preview is a good example. It IS listed in the phone, but not on PC.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Alberto has hit it exactly, if the app doesn't implement notifications 100% correctly, then I'm sure dismiss (amongst other things) is a wash, and your app won't show in the Cortana list, either.

The Skype Beta app is all kinds of messed-up, IMHO; I'm surprised they even ship it.
I can't toggle it, as mentioned, and I'm sure I could find it buried in the registry or obscure file somewhere, but it's just not useful, if you ask me. I tried un-install and re-install too, same deal.
I'm not on the latest insider build though, or app build, I sort of gave up after a ditched my 950XL, after the AU. Things got way too unstable on my phone, and I decided I didn't need that on my PC/laptop...

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Let's not talk about skype preview, because it's been frustrating me since the beginning. I use it to text with my gf who lives in the US, and i really need it because i can use it on my pc, phone, Xbox and Mediacenter... Well, if only it worked smoothly..

Anyways, this notification issue is really driving me insane. I've been finding "orphaned" notification on all my devices since AU (thanks god Xbox doesn't have them yet), and it took me literally minutes to dig into all of them every time to the point I almost dismiss all of them at once now, and just fire up the app to see what's new. It's a total disaster. Utterly unreliable.

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! It's doing just fine except for Yahoo, and who knows when they will get their act together! They got hacked and have went plum crazy with their security.:wink:

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting everything except SMS messages. I can send messages using Cortana on my PC but if a message comes to my phone it does not transfer to the PC for me to reply. I am getting missed call notifications though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss