Try Groove Music Pass for free "ad" in groove player

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
This is for Windows 10 mobile. I didn't see a mobile forum and I don't have a 950, so I hope this is the right place to post. I have a Lumia 1520 running windows 10 mobile (not anniversary update).

In the groove player under the Artist category I have no Artist art. Windows 8.1 mobile worked fine, I always had art for the Artists, it disappeared when I upgraded to win 10 mobile. In my attempt to fix the missing Artist art in the groove player I copied music from 3 artists up to One drive. When I do this I now get the Artist art in the groove player for anything I put on one drive. (I'm not talking about Album art, I have all the album art embedded in the mp3's using mp3tag, and they are working fine) Once I put an album on one drive I can then remove it from one drive and copy it directly to the phone and the Artist art remains.

But.... I now see that anything I put on one drive, whether I kept it on one drive or removed it and copied the music directly to the phone, when I choose that artist I now get this advertisement in the bottom of the groove player asking me to Try Groove Music Pass for free. I don't want to try groove music pass, never will want to try it.

2 Questions.....
Is there anyway to get rid of this advertisement? (ads in apps included in the OS are unacceptable)
Anyone know how to get Artist art to show up in the player other than using the method I mentioned above?

Thanks.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It isn't strictly an ad as it is just telling you about a feature within the software, you may be able to switch it off by disabling all music pass features in settings but that WILL disable Your Groove.

Not all albums have artist art, this is especially true for compilation albums, so unless the album has artist art associated with it on the server then there is no way for you to get that feature to work.

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
It isn't strictly an ad as it is just telling you about a feature within the software, you may be able to switch it off by disabling all music pass features in settings but that WILL disable Your Groove.

Not all albums have artist art, this is especially true for compilation albums, so unless the album has artist art associated with it on the server then there is no way for you to get that feature to work.

I've already turned off all the settings for groove music pass in the players settings. I also had auto retrieve and update missing album art and metadata turned on and still nothing for artist art. With all the settings off in the player groove still works and plays music just fine. Is there some other setting your talking about? (also note.... the "try groove" message only appears for albums I put on one drive, it does not appear for music I copied to the phone directly, so it seems to be linked to one drive somehow)

I have hundreds of artists on my phone, all VERY popular with multi-platinum selling records, and none show artist art. Bands like Staind, metallica, disturbed, creed, avril lavigne, alice-n-chains, etc. If the server doesn't have art for these bands then it's severely lacking and almost useless. In win 8.1 mobile the artist art would just show the album art for that artists first album in it's list of albums.

Oh well, if I can't have artist art guess I'll live with it. It is just frustrating that it worked fine in win 8.1 mobile, but not in win10 mobile.

Last edited:

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Update --- I got a windows 10 mobile phone update today. Not the anniversary update, I'm still on version 1511 build 10586.545. Not sure what this update was, but now I have a setting in the Groove player that allowed me to turn off the music pass related content. In Groove settings it called: Hide app features related to Groove Music Pass. Once I turned that setting to off, the banner telling me about the free trial of Groove Music Pass disappeared. The only place it shows up now is under "Your Groove". It's gone from everywhere else.

I also figured out the missing artist art issue. I posted a separate thread for how I figured it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo