Windows 10 Versus Airline Wifi

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, general question - has anyone tried wifi with their Windows 10 device (I'm talking PCs mostly, but Phone users feel free to chime in) on the various wifi providers on airlines, and encountered particular / peculiar problems?

I've tried with the ol' iPhone and it's worked on Air Canada so far, however spotily; but now I'm going to take a Win10 laptop on an intercontinental flight with ANA and I'm honestly wondering what people's experiences have been. Given inflight wifi is almost certainly going to become a standard at some furture time, I'm starting to think how the passenger experience will be to WIn10 power users as the technology evolves.

Thoughts?

Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've tried the wifi at the airport on my pc and phone - they both worked okay for the basic stuff. I didn't have much time at the airports though so I didn't test everything. My flights did not have wifi so I can't help there

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Interesting... I'm really looking forward to testing it out. I guess if there was some large systemic problem we'd have heard about it by now, but so far nothing but general problems connecting with an inflight wifi, not limited to any particular device or platform...

Mark

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
It shouldn't be any different from connecting to any WIFI like McDonalds, Starbucks or Panera Bread. It's basically a router that broadcasts the WIFI signal.

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
True, but these guys seem to be advertising security and stability as their catch points, which is what interests me since as you say it shouldn't be any different. That, and it's essentially a mobile wifi hotspot 30,000 feet further away than the typical relay point.

Mark

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I've never used the in flight wifi but have used in airports. Most have a disclaimer and what that disclaimer basically is for is to protect the airport from lawsuits if PC's are hacked while using a unsecure wifi network. We have a free wifi service at my work which also has a disclaimer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen