Anniversary Update (1607): so that's what staggered means

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Just now this morning, Windows Update on my 8" tablet finally said "Here I am!"

Now I wish I had my Surface Pro (gen 1) handy to see if it has finally shown up there as well.

Hopefully that bug affecting systems where apps and data are stored on the SD card has been fixed...

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Just now this morning, Windows Update on my 8" tablet finally said "Here I am!"

Now I wish I had my Surface Pro (gen 1) handy to see if it has finally shown up there as well.

Hopefully that bug affecting systems where apps and data are stored on the SD card has been fixed...

great news, do tell us how was your upgrade experience :)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
No no, what they mean is that when the AU rolls out to each user they will be staggered that it was released in such a ropy state.

Be careful, whether or not the AU leaves your device in a complete state is in the lap of the gods. The simpler the setup the less likely you will trigger the bugs I think, but if you eg. use hardware Bitlocker then be prepared to have a fun time.

Really really hoping that come Windows 11 we'll see a return to traditional QA instead of this insider outsourcing which has been problematic. I'm fine with the insider programme as an additional feedback channel, but not as a replacement for the proper QA that Windows used to get. If I wanted Open Source I'd get Linux.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
The update wouldn't start on my 8" tablet. Not enough available space on its 32GB internal storage, and the SD card is pretty full as well. I just need to sit down and do some clean up on that SD card. I originally had a virtual drive on it to facilitate the workaround to allow apps, etc. to be stored on it, from when Win10 couldn't do that. Eventually, one of the later updates made that unnecessary.

Meanwhile, today my Surface Pro received notification of the Anniversary Update. Right now that is about 45% downloaded. Looking forward to having all my devices on the latest non-Insider release again. (At some point I will probably give Insider a try again, but at the moment I have too many things going on to allow fixing any problems that might crop up.)

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Really really hoping that come Windows 11 we'll see a return to traditional QA instead of this insider outsourcing which has been problematic. I'm fine with the insider programme as an additional feedback channel, but not as a replacement for the proper QA that Windows used to get. If I wanted Open Source I'd get Linux.

There is a HUGE misunderstanding about the Insider program. Microsoft never got rid of their traditional QA. Instead they have opened up their traditional beta from only select customers to the public in general. The biggest downfall with the Insider program is that the general public does not pay attention to the warnings against using prerelease versions on their primary computers. Time and time again, Microsoft has said to stick with non-Insider builds on "mission critical" computers.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Update to Surface Pro went without a hitch.

My 8" tablet... The virtual drive work-around is causing problems. I thought I had moved everything I wanted off the virtual drive. But when I disconnect it, Windows complained it couldn't find the drive. In Storage settings I moved almost all store apps to the SD card directly (from the virtual drive on the same SD card). I might have perhaps, probably, yeah that's the cause damaged them trying to adjust their assorted drive paths in the registry. I know, smart move on my part. Do to that idiocy, I can't uninstall those apps now either.

Running a command-line repair tool provided with Windows, but I think I might just run Windows recovery reset to nuke everything and start with a clean slate.*

* Hey, good pun for those of us who have been around long enough.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
(Thanks, WC app, for making all the intended blank lines in my previous comment. Come on, you are better than that. Or should be.)

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Resolved my idiotic (on my part) registry hacks to move apps that wouldn't move to the non-virtual drive on my SD card. I was able to uninstall the offending apps either from the apps list or from the list in Storage settings. (If the app wouldn't uninstall from one spot, I tried the other.) Once that was done, I could shutdown the virtual drive, reboot, and verify that Windows no longer complained about not finding the virtual drive. Nuked the file containing the virtual files and installed the Anniversary Update with no problems. The only thing I miss in AU is auto-screen rotation. A bit of a pain to have to open Display settings every time, but hopeful a future update might fix it. Unfortunately, this might be a driver issue, and Asus doesn't appear that they will provide one for Windows 10. Love that little tablet otherwise.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Resolved my idiotic (on my part) registry hacks to move apps that wouldn't move to the non-virtual drive on my SD card. I was able to uninstall the offending apps either from the apps list or from the list in Storage settings. (If the app wouldn't uninstall from one spot, I tried the other.) Once that was done, I could shutdown the virtual drive, reboot, and verify that Windows no longer complained about not finding the virtual drive. Nuked the file containing the virtual files and installed the Anniversary Update with no problems. The only thing I miss in AU is auto-screen rotation. A bit of a pain to have to open Display settings every time, but hopeful a future update might fix it. Unfortunately, this might be a driver issue, and Asus doesn't appear that they will provide one for Windows 10. Love that little tablet otherwise.

I also had problems with the update on my Chuwi Hi12 tablet but managed to install it and with the cumulative updates that came meanwhile everything is great now, very smooth. Tablet mode is better now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smith non231