Search on Start Menu does not find any apps! How to fix?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Made a clean install (format HDD etc.) with W10 AU. Since then I can not press the Win-button and start typing the name of an app, it will just find documents and other stuff with a matching name, not the app itself. There are a few apps like Notepad and Powershell that shows up, but not apps like Calculator or E-mail or any third party apps for that matter.

I live in a EU region without Cortana.

I have realized that I am not the only one with this problem, but fixes that work for others does not seem to work for me. I have tried:

Running Powershell command: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
which just gives me: Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02

Deleting the reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Run the search troubleshooter and rebuilding the index.

This is so annoying, I am very thankful for any ideas what to try next...

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi It sounds like you might have a corrupted registry?? The only thing I know is to try a system reset or a clean install!
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Thanks,

I did a repair install but it is still not working.

I didn't have this problem when on TH2 or when I upgraded to RS1. But then I thought it would be better to do a clean install, that was when this problem started. So I would rather not do a new clean install, I have just got all my apps installed and everything configured.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! @mb-dape! I hear you! It's a pain to reinstall all your apps. I always create a image back up of my OS that I can restore to for these kinds of problems.
I really don't have any more suggestions for this issue. I would have thought a clean install would have fixed your problem. Maybe other members will reply latter!
Good luck !:wink:

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi! @mb-dape! I hear you! It's a pain to reinstall all your apps. I always create a image back up of my OS that I can restore to for these kinds of problems.
I really don't have any more suggestions for this issue. I would have thought a clean install would have fixed your problem. Maybe other members will reply latter!
Good luck !:wink:

Thanks! Yes, usually a clean install solves problems, not creates new ones... :wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I use a 3rd party image program. I use Macrium Reflect Free. There are a lot of free imaging programs to choose from. By having a back up image, it allows me to try different things; like a clean install. I know I can always get back to where I was with the back up image. There are so many things that can happen when you make major changes to your PC. You can get a corrupted install or your media might be corrupted. I'm sure you are aware of that. I recently updated to the Anniversary addition and my PC is running great. I'm very happy with W10!

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I use a 3rd party image program. I use Macrium Reflect Free. There are a lot of free imaging programs to choose from. By having a back up image, it allows me to try different things; like a clean install. I know I can always get back to where I was with the back up image. There are so many things that can happen when you make major changes to your PC. You can get a corrupted install or your media might be corrupted. I'm sure you are aware of that. I recently updated to the Anniversary addition and my PC is running great. I'm very happy with W10!

Thanks, but in my case having a backup image wouldn't have helped, since I got this problem after a clean install.
Anyway I ended up installing Stardock Start10 and that start menu has a working search and a lot more customization options.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Great to hear that you have found a work around for your issue. Thanks for your update. A back up image will always help.
Use Macrium Reflect - Free Edition, though, and the program will take a complete image of your entire hard drive. This will take longer, and you'll probably need a second hard drive to hold the image, but if disaster does strike in the future then you'll appreciate the difference. You won't have to reinstall Windows, or your applications, or try to recover any lost data: just boot from the program's rescue disc, restore the backup, and your PC will be back working as normal within an hour or two.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The PC repair techs where I work would try the Powershell trick, or something similar to it, in the OP. It sometimes worked. If not, they usually ended up doing a clean reinstall. A reinstall is more time and expense for the customer, but it is not a good idea to send something out the door with a fix the "might" stick! They often would spell out to the customer very clearly the options, with time/cost and possible results and side effects, and leave it up to them.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
The PC repair techs where I work would try the Powershell trick, or something similar to it, in the OP. It sometimes worked. If not, they usually ended up doing a clean reinstall. A reinstall is more time and expense for the customer, but it is not a good idea to send something out the door with a fix the "might" stick! They often would spell out to the customer very clearly the options, with time/cost and possible results and side effects, and leave it up to them.
Hi! I think the OP did a clean reinstall and with no success! I agree with your reply. I try to solve a issue first; but if it seems impossible, I always have a back up image that will solve the problem.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I always have a back up image that will solve the problem.

Yeah, but the problem with that is that the problem could appear. At one point your computer was exactly like that image, and the issue came! But I agree; restoring the image is a good last resort.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but the problem with that is that the problem could appear. At one point your computer was exactly like that image, and the issue came! But I agree; restoring the image is a good last resort.
Hi @ tgp! I have a t least 10 images of my OS on a 1TB seagate external drive. I can guarantee you one of those will get me back up and running just like the day the image was created. I have been using back up images for years and IMHO it's the best thing you can do for yourself, if you're going to be a PC user. The windows 10 reset is a good feature, but I don't like reinstalling all my Apps. Creating back up images to a external drive with a 3rd party image program is the best tool you will ever have. I have several ways I can recover, but the image is my favorite!
Thanks for helping and thanks for your suggestions!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon