5.1 surround sound through mini HDMI (or miracast) on tablet

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone! I just got a used Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 from ebay for $115. This is my first tablet and it was pretty cheap so I decided to roll the dice and see what it could do. Here are the specs: Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 Tablet Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
I has Windows 10 32 bit on it. The previous owner did the upgrade and then fully reset it before sending it. I did a full reset again just in case, and installed all updates (currently on anniversary update). I intend to use this for light web browsing and streaming music and Netflix. I really want to be able to hook it up to my home theater and watch movies on Netflix. I have a 5.1 Onkyo HDMI receiver for my home theater. I bought a mini-HDMI adapter and Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (with the intent to return whichever one is less convenient). The microsoft adapter is hit or miss and disconnects quite often, but that's not the problem. I can't get either adapter to play audio in surround sound. When I go to the playback devices, the receiver is listed there, but when I hit configure and do the 5.1 speaker test, the rear sounds are coming out of the front speakers, and I don't think the center speaker is working either. When using the wireless display adapter it ONLY gives me the option of stereo. Does anyone know how to resolve this or if its even possible? I have a super cheap i3 Acer laptop from 2012 that can do surround sound over the HDMI (with windows 10 as well). It's sad that it works on my laptop, but not the tablet. I appreciate any help!

EDIT: btw I have updated the firmware for the microsoft wireless adapter

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Now I can't even get Netflix to play a video while using the app over Miracast/Microsoft Display Adapter. It takes forever to load and then gives me an error. I can play a video from netflix fine when using the tablet and its own screen! I tried installing the latest Intel Graphics Driver and that was a big fail, saying it wasn't compatible with windows 10. I will try again using the HDMI cable tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes