Facebook app for Windows 10 PC doesn't open.

ManiacalMartini

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem. According to the Facebook app reviews, we're far from the only ones with this issue. I think it's related to the KB3176936 update because it was installed at about the same time as the problem started. Unfortunately, it won't let me uninstall it. Things I've tried to fix Facebook/Messenger/Instagram:

Uninstalled/Reinstalled apps
Ran SFC /SCANNOW
Made sure the permissions for the Facebook folders in WindowsApps were correct
Ran DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
Removed every instance of the Facebook app from the Registry and reinstalled the apps

No luck. Just throws up the splash screen for a few seconds and then it goes away. Event Log shows this:

Activation of app Facebook.InstagramBeta_8xx8rvfyw5nnt!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

TWinUI doesn't exist in my Event Viewer.

I'm going to enable Insider builds on my machine to see if there's already a fix for this. We'll see what happens.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Same here for past few months and Insider builds. Windows 10 refresh didn't fix the issue. So I did a data backup and full restore just now. No luck. Clean installed Windows 10 Pro. Immediately installed Facebook. Crashes immediately.

FYI. I have AMD Athlon II CPU

ManiacalMartini

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Same here for past few months and Insider builds. Windows 10 refresh didn't fix the issue. So I did a data backup and full restore just now. No luck. Clean installed Windows 10 Pro. Immediately installed Facebook. Crashes immediately.

FYI. I have AMD Athlon II CPU

I'm also running an AMD CPU. I've tried updating the drivers and that didn't help either.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my PC. I did work and I don't know why it doesn't know. I have an 8 year old laptop so I kind of passed it off as "anything might happen" with this thing.

ManiacalMartini

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I reset my PC last night. Still no change. KB3176936 was already installed this morning and still no way to remove it. One would think Facebook would fix their 3 apps to work with this update or Microsoft would patch it by now.

ManiacalMartini

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
As of this morning's Facebook update, the problem has been resolved for me. Messenger is still broken though. I assume the update for that isn't far behind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky