Cannot Type in Metro-Style Applications

LatitudeZ

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've recently updated my Sony Vaio Duo 13 to Anniversary Update 1607 (14393.321) because my Office apps stopped working, and everything went down hill.

Currently, I cannot type in anything that is a Metro-style application, including
- Cortana search bar
- Any Metro-style window search bars (eg. cannot search in "settings")
- Any Metro-style apps (eg. Xodo PDF annotator)

I have tried using both the physical keyboard and the on screen keyboard - neither will produce any letters inside the search box. Even booting in safe mode does not allow me to type in these boxes. I have also tried matching all my regions in the settings, and deleting excess keyboards. I have also updated all my drivers through device manager.

I have tried sfc /scannow - crashes at 12% saying "windows resource protection could not perform operation".

Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Also, here is a list of running Anniversary update problems I have been experiencing +/- solutions:
1) 10x slower bootup - fixed by decreasing virtual memory from 8gb to 2gb (never had a problem with 8gb)
2) Will not bootup with any USB dongle attached - have not found a fix yet (must remove usb before booting)
3) Error message keeps popping up upon log-in, and will keep coming up every 5 minutes or so:
Error.JPG
4) On my other laptop, W10 will not recognize the DVD drive - seems to think it is a disk drive.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi You could try Repair Install Windows 10 with an in-place upgrade! I would create a back up image with a 3rd party image program before trying this!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

LatitudeZ

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was going to do this as a last resort, and I decided to give it a go. I have done an in-place upgrade before as I was experiencing issues with the OS.

This time, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Windows 10 Forums link you sent me. When I opened it, it gave me an error at the start:
Error 2.jpg

I am not ready to do a Refresh or Reset yet, as that would include wiping all my settings and apps. I am currently in the middle of an extremely busy semester and would prefer to keep as many of my things intact as possible (this computer is my daily driver).

Any insight would be great.

Cheers,

Jacky

EDIT: Got it working by downloading the ISO instead. An in-place upgrade fixed all the problems! Thanks :)

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
EDIT: Got it working by downloading the ISO instead. An in-place upgrade fixed all the problems! Thanks :)
Good for you! I'm glad you tried the ISO. There is a known problem with some brand of flash drives. I have heard that Sandisk is one of brands that doesn't like the media creation tool. I use PNY flash drives and I've never had a problem. Thanks for your update. It will help other members!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel