is the free win10 upgrade transferable to another owner?

Turbo Brian

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
i have a couple laptops that both came with windows 8.1 that im going to be selling. both were upgraded to win10 during the free upgrade period and both are currently on anniversary edition. when i look at the activation page, it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account". naturally, i will reset windows before sale so does this mean the new owner will not be able to activate windows 10 since it wont be done with my acct? do i need to track down restore media for each and put win8 back on?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's actually very interesting because historically and even when I had my stint on Windows 10, the license is tied to the machine, not the user. What I would do is reset those laptops and set them up with a local account and see if the activation status is an issue.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it is tied to your MS account.... But rather the motherboard...

I have a notebook that was upgraded during the free period and I'm now trying to sell it. Anyhow, after resetting it to "factory". I'm able to log in with a local account (not tied to an MS account) and it is not listing any issues with W10 licensing.

Turbo Brian

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
That's actually very interesting because historically and even when I had my stint on Windows 10, the license is tied to the machine, not the user. What I would do is reset those laptops and set them up with a local account and see if the activation status is an issue.
see, i thought it was tied to a machine ID as well but the wording on the activation page makes it sound otherwise. i guess i can always test it out and see what happens and if sinime is correct, i should be ok.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
see, i thought it was tied to a machine ID as well but the wording on the activation page makes it sound otherwise. i guess i can always test it out and see what happens and if sinime is correct, i should be ok.
Yes it does say that!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 2

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3