Ethernet cards don't work except from boot disk

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 -My on-board Ethernet 'card' stopped working. I added a new network card but the internet still isn?t working. So I booted the computer into a recovery CD and was able to connect to the Internet via both network cards. So the problem seemed to lie within Windows. Do I simply go to device manager and uninstall the three network items that are listed there, or do I go to a deeper level? Disabling them and re-enabling them did nothing.
Thank you for taking the time,
Rollo

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
HI friend! I'm not sure what your question is! Here's all I know. This is from a search I did! I have never done this. Let me know what you think! Are you planing to use the new one or the on board one. This is a little above my pay grade!:wink:
Enter BIOS/setup and disable it there. They should work together though.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Holdum but I don't wan't to disable them, I want to make either one work.
Hi it says they should work together?? If neither one work, you may need to update the drivers from the manufacture! Some times the device manager doesn't always have the driver you might need. Have you checked your manufacture to see if there is a updated driver? I have heard that the W10 upgrade can have some problems with the network adapter. Check your manufacture for the latest driver.Let me know what you come up with. I have a Realtek adapter. I went to Toshiba and got the latest driver for my PC.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your efforts Holdum
I downloaded The Realtek Nic update but it made no difference.

As for the Qualcomm ethernet controller NDIS, all I can find on their site is a Windows 8 inf file which I can't figure out what to with.

As for the new network card I installed that I have a setup disc for, Windows doesn't even see it in the device manager.

After 6 months of Win10 I feel like going back to 7!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi thanks for your reply. What make and model is your PC. I go to Toshiba for all my drivers. When did you notice this problem?? After windows up date??
The only thing that comes to my mind is get the driver from your manufacture. You could try a in-place repair. It will take a long time to complete. Maybe a couple of hours. Sorry you are having all these problems. Give this a look and see if you want to give it a go. I have done it a couple of times and it worked successfully for me.
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. After several days of frustration I gave up and re-imaged the whole C Drive back to 6 weeks ago.
Cheers,
Rollo

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. After several days of frustration I gave up and re-imaged the whole C Drive back to 6 weeks ago.
Cheers,
Rollo
Hi Rollo Thanks for the update. I'm glad you solved your issue. It's good that you had a back up image to restore to. I always have 6 or 8 on my external drive that I can restore to. I love my Macrium Reflect!
So what's going to happen when MS updates your PC again. Will the adapters not work again??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb