Windows 10 HW activation and cloning to another computer?

sneak3

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!

So quick question. I have a macbook pro with windows 10 activated in a bootcamp partition. It was an upgrade hardware activation from windows 8.

Now I'm replacing my macbook for another one with different specs. Can I clone my current bootcamp partition and transfer it to my new mac without any sort of windows activation issues?

Or as soon as I connect to the internet it will read the different mac hardware and tell me I need to purchase a new license?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!

So quick question. I have a macbook pro with windows 10 activated in a bootcamp partition. It was an upgrade hardware activation from windows 8.

Now I'm replacing my macbook for another one with different specs. Can I clone my current bootcamp partition and transfer it to my new mac without any sort of windows activation issues?

Or as soon as I connect to the internet it will read the different mac hardware and tell me I need to purchase a new license?
I believe there's process where you can "transfer" the W10 license to new hardware working with Microsoft. Thought I was where someone in the forums here had done it.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @sneak3 Please do not double post. You asked this question in Ask A Question and was answered there. You have also been answered here by two members. Now three members:wink:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...ion-cloning-another-computer.html#post3602545

It depends on your license. Any user upgrading from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 will be issued with a Windows 10 digital entitlement directly linked to your system hardware — namely, your motherboard. While rumors have persisted that Microsoft will try to resell you Windows 10 in the event of an upgrade, it isn’t true.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12