Visit site

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 13

ainterne

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Not for me, caused Critical Error with the Start Menu, no more Cortana, none of which are fixing them selves by normal means.

The odd issue I am getting is that occasionally, if log in and then don't touch the system for about 2 mins, then I can see the Start Menu....

Most of the icons are gone and it's sparse. If I add anything to it on the next reboot it's lost.......... I hate these updates, it's like Russian Roulette.
My Surface Book has about 5 updates hidden now because they just don't install. I was shocked with this update, because so far I only had to hide about 3 updates........You have heard it before and will hear it again, this never happened on Windows 7...

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I suggest doing a in-place repair if you are having problems. That would be my first choice! Here's link from MS!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085
If your Windows 10 installation is demonstrating unusual behavior such as built in apps not working or launching, you can perform a repair upgrade to fix the problem. A repair upgrade is the process of installing Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk, using your installation DVD or ISO file. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

ainterne

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks kindly. I will give it a try. It's a shame that we get updates sent to us that breaks some of our systems. It's not as if I got a warning it was going to install, it just happens unless I go in and make changes to the system. I think we have all become to tolerant of this type of software update and the damage it can do. While we can use fixes like the one you have kindly shared, it all takes time, time I don't really have to repair things that shouldn't go wrong. I understand the point is to correct mistakes and bugs etc, but when installing the fix can break the systems also, we damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend! You are very welcome. I agree that the updates can be a PITA. I don't know which build you are running and I'm not familiar with your Surface Book. If you try the in-place repair, let me know how it worked for you. You might want to try a clean install, if in-place- repair doesn't help! I would also reset your updates. Here's link from Shawn Brink. It's a bat file that might help. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-windows-update-reset-windows-10-a.html
It won't hurt any thing to reset the updates. Let me know how things go for you!
Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Sometimes you may have an issue with Windows Update such as not being able to download or install updates, error messages, not being able to search for new updates, etc. These kind of issues can occur when the Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to Windows Update are not running, etc.

Resetting the Windows Update components and history can usually solve these types of issues.

ainterne

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey, thanks... you did ask me to update you. So I didn't rebuild from scratch, I am to chicken to do that now. My PC is a working PC and I have quite a few applications etc installed. Including quite a bit of software that has to be registered etc, it all takes time.
So I tried 2 things first, first FixWin and I chose the "Start Menu dosn/t open or work in Windows10"......and my "Tweaking.com" Windows repair, and turned everything off other than "Repair Windows Update" What I found was after running one of these things worked immediately, however if I added something to the Start Menu, on next reboot the problem happened immediately. So I read someone said that booting in to Safe Mode, then booting back into normal mode would solve things, so I did that.. Again, the first time I boot it works and then next boot it reverts to not working. I have run the systems checks a few times in Safe mode and nothing reports as failing.

Now, I must clarify, When I say not working, I mean that if I click on the start menu immediately after booting, I get, a Critical Error and Windows wants to log out and back in again. However, I noticed that if I leave the PC for about 5 mins after it reboots, the problem goes away and I can use the Start menu.......Also Cortana appears to work and I can search, I just can't execute anything offered as a result. So if I put in Outlook for example, Cortana finds Outlook, but I can't double click on the result. So it's like I have some delay thing going on, where as long as I don't try and choose the start menu, and leave things run for 5 mins, then my PC is in some working state.

I don't' believe in rebooting my machine every day, and so I live with things for the moment, but something not quite right and I would like to resolve it. What I notice is on these forums is that people try lots of different solutions for what appears to be the same problem, some work, some don't, there is no consistency in how things are fixed. That does really point to a very badly written OS in my mind.
If this was Linux I would have it fixed in 5 mins...as it's all very logical.

I have a 16 core, 64 bit, PC running with Samsung 960, 950, 850 drives, 4 5g hard drives etc... it's a fast and good systems I recently built and until now was flying..... Asus Deluxe 2 motherboard, and 3 4K 29 inch screens. I do run VM Workstation and have 3 working images I use for work every day, I run Webroot, Comodo,and a couple of other protective software apps.... But as I say, I do have a lot of software installed, so recovering is no fast process. I do a weekly mirror image disk copy of my Boot drive, but for some reason that will not boot....(first time ever)

So it's as if there is something that is being delayed at boot up that allows me to use the Start Menu after Windows has been running, but not immediately. Something is not right about the Tiles area, and that's a shame as I had just got used to using them after Windows 7.
It was all quite organized. I think the core problem I have is something to do with the tiles area, but I am not 100% with Windows 10 and how it works now.

I have hidden the latest update and wont let it run, in fact I am going to be very careful about letting any Microsoft update run from now on. Not until Microsoft have a handle on things.

10 years ago I built a DNS/DHCP appliance...I built my own Kernel, constructed the OS from scratch and checked everything for about 6 months before releasing it. 10 years later not one appliance has ever failed in production, not one error or problem. Companies globally copied the solution, but even now I see them cut corners and not check their builds, and unbelievably they release this software to companies... it's almost criminal in my eyes. The point I am trying to make is that Microsoft should not release patches like this.......They use the general public as beta testers for what they reveal as production software, when in reality it's still beta. They then collect all the feedback like a beta program and then finally stick some more fixes out there to fix their original fix.... It's madness. It's ok, but before they do that they should make the recovery root bomb proof..... That way they just need to have a team build a bomb proof recovery method first, then they can release patches and have people try them. I know why they do it the way they do, its because they can't account for all the different hardware and software specs in the market place. I understand that, but first they should make sure that there is always a 100% back out solution for customers that allow their patches to install. People like Comodo have a sandbox where customer can try software in a sandbox before unleashing the software on their systems 100%.
That's the kind of solution Microsoft need. Allow the patches to install, but into a protected system, and then if the patches do not run, allow the system to continue in a working state.

So I thank you for your suggestions once more. My gut feeling is if I re-install and tell the system to keep my files and apps, I would bet that something's are not working after I do that. Perhaps I am wrong, I wish someone could re-assure me on that, remember I have 20+ applications installed. So re-installing is last in my list of possible fixes right now. I will try and run a few more utilities in the hope something works and things get corrected, but I don't hold much hope for that either. I may just have to live with the system as it is now. Thoughts?

Phil.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! That's quite a reply. Here's how I handle tough W10 problems. I use a 3rd party image program called Macrium Reflect. I have 100% confidence that it will restore my PC back exactly like it was the day I created the image. I create a image. Then I try the W10 recovery options, knowing I can always use my image to get me back to where I was. I can tell you that I have used the in-place-repair at least 3 times. I have never lost a app.
If you can put up with all your bugs, then that's what you should do. I suggest creating a back up image with a 3rd party image program, and then giving the in-place-repair a shot. Let me know if you ever decide to do that, and what your results were. I learn from members like yourself and then I pass it forward.
Good luck and thank you for your replies!:cool:

ainterne

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
It was Spyhunter that did all the damage, The company immediately refunded my original purchase price..... I am annoyed because while things are working again, I lost settings and have to re-configure. I need a good app that can run with Windows 10 and allow patch installs. Spyhunter where very quick to refund me after being with them for 2 years nearly. As soon as I explained the problem they didn't want to hear anymore and just sent me the money..... ESG Support Service Center Makes me wonder..... They must have known about this and never warned me. I do run Comodo and Webroot Secure, but I would feel better with a third just to be safe. However an app that does not interfere with the patch process. Any suggestions? I don't like MacAfee or Trend Micro, they make my PC feel like its running up hill with 100lbs on its back, and it's 16 core and 50+gig memory. Kaspersky I like and is installed on my Windows 7 Pc...... but I would be open to any suggestions of a good antivirus software that includes a firewall package that works like Windows 10 Firewall control, e.g it pops up notices where data tries to access to leave my PC. then I can decide to block or allow ... Sorry for the brief note, I am just very tired right now.... I did have a backup disk using Casper, but the patch did the same thing to that......So had to uninstall Spy Hunter on the backup images also.

Phil.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Phil! I have used MSE and now Windows Defender running in real time with Malwarebytes and I have never had malware or Virus. Malwarebytes has blocked a lot of malicious websites from getting in or out!
It's not recommended to run two Anti-Virus programs in real time. That can cause conflicts that may cause you a lot of grief. Glad you got your problem solved. Your post will help others here on the forum!:wink: Thanks!
PS here's a in house link that might help you decide!
http://www.windowscentral.com/antivirus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs