Is there a way of choosing which windows updates to install?

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I am facing some issues with the update process. I have about 1 GB of updates pending, but everytime I install it, something goes wrong and updates fail to install. Updates history shows only one of the updates as failed, but none of them are installed.
I want to install the rest of the updates so I don't have to download 1 GB everytime, but I can find any options to individually choose which updates should be installed.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, forgot that part. I am running a PC with 64 bit windows 10 v1607.
Thanks for the links, I will download them, but is there no way to choose updates individually on windows 10? Before windows 10 I used to solve these problems by installing individual updates.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, forgot that part. I am running a PC with 64 bit windows 10 v1607.
Thanks for the links, I will download them, but is there no way to choose updates individually on windows 10? Before windows 10 I used to solve these problems by installing individual updates.
W10 does not give you the option like 7 did. . ..

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but even manual installation of the updates keeps failing. Is there a way to see what error is causing the updates to fail? I can't see any error codes in update history.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Technically you CAN select which updates to install, but in a sense of choosing to ignore the earlier updates. Let's say there are 6 cumulative updates, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, all released in the same order of the number (6 being the latest). You can choose to ignore the updates 1-5, but you'd have to install the 6th if you want to update your computer.

If you've installed 6 and find it troublesome, you can roll back to your previous build (the ones before update 1), BUT YOU CAN'T choose to download any of the updates between 1-5.

Either that, or find the ISO of the stable builds released by Microsoft. That's about the only way to go when it comes to updating your PC iirc.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @ madcursor. You could try resetting the updates. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-windows-update-reset-windows-10-a.html
Sometimes you may have an issue with Windows Update such as not being able to download or install updates, error messages, not being able to search for new updates, etc. These kind of issues can occur when the Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to Windows Update are not running, etc.

Resetting the Windows Update components and history can usually solve these types of issues.

Which KB number are you having trouble with?? Can you attach a screen shot of your update history?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! @madcursor. You could always try a in-place repair! How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
@holdum33 Thanks for all the tips and help, but I had to finally reset my windows installation to fix the problem. Nothing else worked.
I didn't try upgrading windows using installation image because that would take me a couple of days more to download. I spent nearly a day just downloading and installing updates manually. :)

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @madcursor ! thanks for the update on your issue. Some times the only way seems to be a reset.
I don't know why MS updates are so hard for some users and then other users don't have any problems with the updates. I had problems with the the 1607 addition. I did a in-place repair and I haven't had any problems after that. Anyway I'm happy to hear you solved your problem. Now you can help other WC members with that problem.:wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon