CMD has been there for decades, why MS decided to change that (to powershell)

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
It is an option given to power users who want a more powerful command line tool. For everyone else, CMD is still there and is default unless you want to explicitly use powershell instead. I to prefer CMD, mostly because of nostalgia, but I do like being given the option.

Mihai N

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I also used CMD the very few times I needed it, but I think MS will likely replace it in time. Just like they will gradually migrate all of Control Panel to the Settings app, CMD might be replaced as well after MS considers users got used to PowerShell

tonytranupg

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I also used CMD the very few times I needed it, but I think MS will likely replace it in time. Just like they will gradually migrate all of Control Panel to the Settings app, CMD might be replaced as well after MS considers users got used to PowerShell

I agree that Powershell is more powerful and most commands in CMD can work in Powershell properly. However, I still like CM because opening it is so simple. Just press Win + R, type cmd and Enter.

That's it :). Very quick :) Right?

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
You can replace CMD with Powershell so it opens with Win + X shortcut. To do this, go to settings (Ctrl+I) > personalization >Taskbar. There turn on the replace command prompt with powershell option.
Our you could always use win+r and powershell :)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
PowerShell is an incredibly powerful scripting environment integrated into an object oriented shell. From the viewpoint of command shell the biggest difference to legacy shells like cmd, bash, csh etc. is its object oriented nature. So while conventional shells read text from stdin and put text to stdout, PowerShell passes objects around.

Example bash:
"ls" returns formatted text, which shows the content of the current directory. In order to get the name of the 3rd file you need parsing tools like grep and sed etc. to extract the name from the formatted text

Powershell
"ls" also returns hat the content of the current directory but as array of file objects. In order to get the name of the 3rd file you just type.
(ls)[3].name

You want to kill all instances of Edge running?
ps | where { $_.name -match "edge" } | kill

Explanation:
ps returns an array of process object current running on your system. This is piped to the where-commandlet, which filters the objects where the name match with regular expression "edge" and finally the result is piped to the kill command.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokul Dm