How to stop MS from updating my NVidia driver?

Starkman

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Greetings all,

Windows 10
Ver 1607
OS Build 14393.693

Windows insists on updating my NVidia graphic driver. I'd REALLY like this to stop; I'll decide when I want to update my video driver, thank you!

I've rolled back the driver, but, inevitably, Windows will update it again, sooner than later. I've hidden the driver so that Windows will not reinstall it, but that only lasts a while.

Any ideas how to make Windows stop this?

Thanks,

Starkman

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I never got an Nvidia update through Windows. Instead, I just got one most recently from the GeForce Experience app. Do you get the same listed update using the GeForce app? If you get a better one, just update to that and then Windows should be happy.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

Starkman

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Well, that's just it: I don't want to update my video driver; it's quite stable as it is. But Windows wants to do so. That's what ticks me off.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Which is why alot of gamers are staying away from Windows 10 including me. I have a 4500 dollar gaming machine that at the moment remains on 8.1 because I refuse to let MS ruin it with a forced update, especially since Nvidia drivers have been crap lately. If you want to see all the issues people are having with them and with Windows 10 installing them and be convinced that Windows should not be forcing updates on us, head over to the Geforce forums and read through the hundreds/thousands of pages of posts on the multitude of issues. Fried cards, lost features, inability to uninstall drivers, BSOD, tunrecognized GPU's, the list goes on and on.

They are a disaster and Windows shouldn't be forcing any install on us. Geforce Experience is also something many of us avoid at all costs. When a new driver comes out we wait to see the damage it causes and if you want the driver. Uninstall it with DDU and download the new driver directly from the driver page, Do a clean install and uncheck Geforce Experience and 3D Vision.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If the drivers come from MS servers in Ireland, we may be able to use reverse psychology. Tell MS you work for the govt and demand the driver.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You are correct, turning off auto update in Geforce Experience will not stop MS from updating your drivers. Nothing will stop them at this point, I believe driver update setting may be coming in the next major Windows update but I'm not sure. Unless you want to get into the registry and mess with things you have no option but to take whatever update MS gives you and then uninstall and reinstall the driver you want. Which is why I said everything I said a few posts up. A good portion of gamers have stayed off of it because of this and a number of other issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos