I am using a lot of YouTube apps on my Surface Book and I cannot say that I am happy with them. I have "Client for YouTube", MyTube, and Tubecast. All three apps have issues with playback:
    • Pausing a video and then resuming it will cause problems with audio in MyTube
    • Fast forwarding a video will almost always cause these apps to stop playback
    • 2160p support in Client for Youtube is missing
    • In general, playback is not as smooth with these apps as when visiting the YouTube website.
    • Streaming via DLNA in MyTube causes lots of stability issues and the app will freeze, or stop playback.

I really like MyTube and its features, but it is really bad in playing videos, which shouldn't be the case..

Anyone here with a good suggestion for a YouTube app that really works?
    03-18-2017 02:53 PM
    I am using a lot of YouTube apps on my Surface Book and I cannot say that I am happy with them. I have "Client for YouTube", MyTube, and Tubecast. All three apps have issues with playback:
    • Pausing a video and then resuming it will cause problems with audio in MyTube
    • Fast forwarding a video will almost always cause these apps to stop playback
    • 2160p support in Client for Youtube is missing
    • In general, playback is not as smooth with these apps as when visiting the YouTube website.
    • Streaming via DLNA in MyTube causes lots of stability issues and the app will freeze, or stop playback.

I really like MyTube and its features, but it is really bad in playing videos, which shouldn't be the case..

Anyone here with a good suggestion for a YouTube app that really works?
    I just downloaded the trial version of MyTube. Worked well on my SP4. I started and stopped the video several times without issue. It did stutter a bit when I tried to fast forward, but I imagine that's because its streaming and needs to catch up.
    I don't know a lot about these types of apps though because I generally only play music I've downloaded to my device.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    03-18-2017 03:15 PM
    Thanks for answering. MyTube works well with videos at a 720p max resolution.
    My Internet connection is fast (400Mbps) and I have no issues streaming 4K video, but with these apps it is really not working very well.
    I have to exclude TubeCast though. Tubecast seems to work well. I have to test it more though,since I downloaded it some hours ago.
    03-18-2017 03:31 PM
    I've had good experiences on MyTube in the past, but that was on mobile. Assuming this is the same guy, I'll continue to recommend it.

EDIT: Alright, downloaded it again, trying it out. Seems pretty great even now. Kudos to developer.
    Last edited by Angry_Mushroom; 03-19-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    03-19-2017 07:42 AM
    Thanks for answering. MyTube works well with videos at a 720p max resolution.
    My Internet connection is fast (400Mbps) and I have no issues streaming 4K video, but with these apps it is really not working very well.
    I have to exclude TubeCast though. Tubecast seems to work well. I have to test it more though,since I downloaded it some hours ago.
    Let us know how it goes.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    03-19-2017 07:55 AM
    Tubacast seems to be working great. No problems so far. I don't understand why client for YouTube and mytube suck so much when pausing or/and fast forwarding video though.
    03-19-2017 12:30 PM
    TS also try the app Tubecast for Youtube!!
    03-19-2017 04:58 PM
    I use tubecast and airplay yo appletv
    03-19-2017 05:33 PM
    When I saw the title I came to say mytube and then I read the 1st post.
    03-19-2017 05:46 PM
    Awesome Tube is great too.

Sent from mTalk
    03-19-2017 06:24 PM
    mytube has great features, but playback is highly problematic. I have tried many times on my Surface Book and my wife's surface pro, but it is totally unreliable.
    03-20-2017 05:49 AM
    I was going to suggest resetting the apps and also checking for updates for them
    03-20-2017 08:15 AM
    Lol, the thread title... Exaggerate much?

I can think of 5 YouTube apps that are really quite good. Just because they're not as capable in a few areas, doesn't mean they suck.
    03-20-2017 11:58 AM
    Lol, the thread title... Exaggerate much?

I can think of 5 YouTube apps that are really quite good. Just because they're not as capable in a few areas, doesn't mean they suck.
    My thoughts exactly
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    03-20-2017 12:32 PM
    Client for youtube IMO is horible on mobile. On my Idol 4s it is too slow to use. No particular problems on desktop but maybe because I'm a creature of habbit I prefer the UI of tubecast better.

Tubecast isn't UWP but it works fine on mobile. However on insider preview/creators update (desktop) it has lots of problems basically you lose all of the menu items when you right click. I think the developer has lost interest.
    03-20-2017 01:09 PM
    I use Mytube beta on phone and sometimes Perfect Tube. Never had issues with them. Maybe try Perfect Tube.
    03-20-2017 01:18 PM
    A YouTube app has one main feature: to playback video. This must work 100% of the time. It doesn't matter if other features or the design of an app is nice. If playback is not perfect, then the app has failed its main goal. I do not think I exaggerate. I have tested many apps and most of them are very bad in playing video.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    03-20-2017 03:53 PM
    A YouTube app has one main feature: to playback video. This must work 100% of the time. It doesn't matter if other features or the design of an app is nice. If playback is not perfect, then the app has failed its main goal. I do not think I exaggerate. I have tested many apps and most of them are very bad in playing video.
    but then even the browser on a pc isn't that good in playing videos from Youtube

Over the last week I've seen youtube videos struggle on anything higher than 720p, restart playing when coming out of full screen mode, a lot of waiting for videos to load - even though the connection speed is fast, the youtube page loading everything else on the page except for the video I want to watch etc
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    03-21-2017 01:31 AM
    but then even the browser on a pc isn't that good in playing videos from Youtube

Over the last week I've seen youtube videos struggle on anything higher than 720p, restart playing when coming out of full screen mode, a lot of waiting for videos to load - even though the connection speed is fast, the youtube page loading everything else on the page except for the video I want to watch etc
    Interesting. I have no issues whatsoever when using Edge or Chrome.
    03-21-2017 02:14 PM
    Are you using the Beta version of MyTube?
    It's excellent for me
    03-21-2017 03:44 PM
    I just downloaded it, so I cannot really say, but the first impression is not good. It's interesting to see though, that other people do not have the issues I am facing.
    03-21-2017 04:36 PM
    Perfect tube is my favorite. Works great and looks good.

Sent from mTalk
    03-21-2017 04:42 PM