Cannot link with mail app using People app

kjdawson1

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
I used to be able to email contacts in my people app from my people app, Now when I try to email contacts from my people app, it just opens up in a browser. The screenshot below is what I used to get when I clicked on an email address in the people app. It gave me the choice to open the mail app. Now I do not get this menu. When I click on any of the contacts email in the people app, it just goes to the chrome browser. How do I resolve this so when I click on the email address in the people app, it opens up in the mail app? Note that when I go to the mail app and place the persons name in the TO: box, it gives me choices of names in my people app, so the apps are synced/linked. therefore I do not think it is a syncing issue.

screenshot people app.png

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
When you LEFT-CLICK the contact. It will list their contact info, including their email address. Just click it. It may ask you to select which default app you want to use. Select your Windows 10 email app. If you have multiple email accounts, it will let you select which account to send it from.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I used to be able to email contacts in my people app from my people app, Now when I try to email contacts from my people app, it just opens up in a browser. The screenshot below is what I used to get when I clicked on an email address in the people app. It gave me the choice to open the mail app. Now I do not get this menu. When I click on any of the contacts email in the people app, it just goes to the chrome browser. How do I resolve this so when I click on the email address in the people app, it opens up in the mail app? Note that when I go to the mail app and place the persons name in the TO: box, it gives me choices of names in my people app, so the apps are synced/linked. therefore I do not think it is a syncing issue.

View attachment 134581

Suggestion :
Uninstall Mail app > go to the Store > reinstall Mail app

Use this tutorial :
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4689-uninstall-apps-windows-10-a.html

Use either Option Two, Three or Four.
Example : Option Two
•Option Two: To Remove Specific Windows Apps from Current Account in PowerShell

Scroll to (To remove Calendar and Mail app from current account only)

Copy and paste the command line to your elevated Powershell
> press Enter

When that is done, go to the Store and reinstall Mail and Calendar.

kjdawson1

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
I just saw your post. There was no notification in my email that anyone responded. I am uncomfortable using the powershell. Is there a reason not to use option one, which is the easiest method? Have you heard anyone with my problem?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I am uncomfortable using the powershell. Is there a reason not to use option one

I always use the powershell option. Force of habit.

If you are using the current version of Windows 10, Option One from the tutorial no longer applies. It is out-dated.

Follow this ......
Start button > left side, click Settings > select Apps > left side, make sure it is on Apps & features > right side, scroll down to Mail and Calendar > left click at it > click Uninstall.

kjdawson1

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi David,

I have used the powershell technique and uninstalled and reinstalled the mail and Calendar apps as well as the people app. I still have the same problem. Emailing from the people app just opens up a browser.

I have also tried your second solution, however there is no way to uninstall a program from the app & features setting. I did click on advanced options and used reset the app and that did not work either.

Any suggestions? I can't be the only one with this problem...have you encountered this with other users.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi David,

I have also tried your second solution, however there is no way to uninstall a program from the app & features setting..

Are you saying that the Uninstall button was unresponsive ? That you clicked at it and nothing happened ?

If yes, is your Mail app set as default program ?

kjdawson1

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
David, thank you. You have solved the problem. The mail app was not set as the default app for email. When I set it as the default, i can now email a person from the people app and it will give me choices as to what email program to use. It no longer opens up in a browser. Been stuck on this issue for months. You solved it. Thanks again.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
David, thank you. You have solved the problem. The mail app was not set as the default app for email. When I set it as the default, i can now email a person from the people app and it will give me choices as to what email program to use. It no longer opens up in a browser. Been stuck on this issue for months. You solved it. Thanks again.

You are welcome.
Happy computing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss