Windows 10 1703 installer throwing SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE stop code

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I used the media creation tool to get myself a Windows 10 Creators Update ISO. Used the ISO (has install.esd) to upgrade Windows 10 flawlessly on my desktop just by mounting it and launching setup.exe.

However, when I tried doing so on my laptop (HP Pavilion 15-AB125AX, AMD A10 8700P, Radeon R7 M360, 16GB DDR3, 230GB system partition), it showed the SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE BSOD right after the first reboot during install procedure. I was planning to update Windows 10 and keep all my files and apps intact.

It rebooted normally to my current Windows build and the installed showed the error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 and error message "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

Now, I downloaded another ISO (has install.wim) from Microsoft using the Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool from HeiDoc.net, used Rufus to make a bootable drive (MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI, since I'm using the MBR partitioning scheme and legacy/non-UEFI boot mode on my laptop). Now, I plugged in the USB drive, rebooted from the USB drive, and the same issue persists. It shows the stop code, makes a minidump and reboots normally into my Windows 10 1607.

What is going wrong here?

Also, I heard that this is a driver issue, and so I removed all disconnected devices from the device manager. But if I plan to boot from a flash drive and do a clean install, why should the driver issue persist?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium