Can you choose how Windows Updates are delivered?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Simple question - can you choose how updates are delivered in Windows 10? I've read a bit about Windows Update Delivery Optimization, but am unclear on some more specifics. Can I use that to update a PC AND other PCs on my network?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Simple question - can you choose how updates are delivered in Windows 10? I've read a bit about Windows Update Delivery Optimization, but am unclear on some more specifics. Can I use that to update a PC AND other PCs on my network?

Yes. This part of the article explains it........

PCs on your local network. When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimization. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesn’t download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file.

How is my PC used to send apps and updates to other PCs?
Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire