Windows 10 S won't let you change default Web browser or search provider

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Another reason why I will NOT buy or use Windows 10 S !!

I am NOT just annoyed. I am pissed off at Microsoft's strong arm tactic throughout the Windows 10 development stage.
I had enough !!!

Source : https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/windows-10-s-edge-bing-default/

Windows 10 S, Microsoft's new locked-down operating system that comes bundled with the Surface Laptop, won't allow you to change the default Web browser away from Microsoft's own Edge. Furthermore, Edge's default search provider can't be altered: Bing is all you get.

Curiously you can download other browsers from the Windows Store, such as Opera Mini, but Windows 10 S won't let you set it as the default browser: if you try to open an HTML file, or click a link in another app, it will always open in Edge, according to Microsoft's official FAQ on the topic.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
As I understand it, Windows 10 S isn't for the general public. So just get a regular (and cheaper) laptop with the full Windows 10 (instead of being pissed off which is kind of counterproductive and bad for your health! :winktongue: )

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Another reason why I will NOT buy or use Windows 10 S !!

I am NOT just annoyed. I am pissed off at Microsoft's strong arm tactic throughout the Windows 10 development stage.
I had enough !!!

Source : https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/windows-10-s-edge-bing-default/

Windows 10 S, Microsoft's new locked-down operating system that comes bundled with the Surface Laptop, won't allow you to change the default Web browser away from Microsoft's own Edge. Furthermore, Edge's default search provider can't be altered: Bing is all you get.

Curiously you can download other browsers from the Windows Store, such as Opera Mini, but Windows 10 S won't let you set it as the default browser: if you try to open an HTML file, or click a link in another app, it will always open in Edge, according to Microsoft's official FAQ on the topic.

Just upgrade it t ok Pro for free then.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Why even consider it, it's a tightly closed ecosystem with no real benefits. Windows 10 is already very lightweight. Windows 10 S is basically designed to take every user's freedom while telling them to go **ck themselves at the same time if they choose to disobey.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't the regular w10 home or pro already allow installation of uwp apps? Why need to buy another glorified Windows RT?

It is called choice, if you do not like it take the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro..

People may want Windows 10 but not want to install anything outside of the Windows store.

This would be great for sub 10" tablets.

Just because you do not want it does not mean someone else would not love to have the option.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I would love to have a nice light 8" tablet with a nice 1080p IPS screen running Windows 10 S. That would do me until the Windows 10 on ARM tablets come out.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
It is called choice, if you do not like it take the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro..

People may want Windows 10 but not want to install anything outside of the Windows store.

This would be great for sub 10" tablets.

Just because you do not want it does not mean someone else would not love to have the option.
It's not free, the upgrade is 50$. It's only free for Surface laptops, and for one year.

Plus, I believe people will more likely buy this by mistake than knowing what they're buying. I hope that sellers will explain well to people what this is about, and that this is actually unnecessarily crippled Windows 10 OS.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Um, AFAIK, there's no option to change the default browser on Chromebooks either.

Your point?

Sent from mTalk
At least Google Chrome is a complete product... And it's the choice of majority Windows PC users anyway.
I would love to have a nice light 8" tablet with a nice 1080p IPS screen running Windows 10 S. That would do me until the Windows 10 on ARM tablets come out.
If it can work with Windows 10 S, it can work work with full Windows 10 too.

Only with difference that you would have to pray to the gods that developers bring you their apps into the Store. Then it they do it, pray again for Microsoft or the developers not to remove them, or publish a version which would become too heavy, or whatever.

For example, there is no video player in the Store which would search for subtitles. But BS Player could do it easily, and it's lightweight.

In case you don't like the later version of any app, just install the older one. And so on.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Why even consider it, it's a tightly closed ecosystem with no real benefits. Windows 10 is already very lightweight. Windows 10 S is basically designed to take every user's freedom while telling them to go **ck themselves at the same time if they choose to disobey.

It is meant for schools so kids do not mess up the systems. You have no understanding of choices and options.

You sound like Henry Ford you can have any colour car as long as it is black.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't get it how much hardcore Microsoft fan one should be in order to make his school invest in laptops like this - dependable of Microsoft's Store. Just don't give administrative rights to your students, and do few more things, and you're done.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Even if it's like that, why don't they let people install whatever they want on their Windows 10 on ARM devices? That would be a lot better to consumers. And why should we care about what Microsoft wants or needs. Like they care about what we want or need. :)

And don't rely on Microsoft taking care of something because "Microsoft needs that too". Wait and see when/if they make a complete product, and then buy it. Giving up is in their blood. :(

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 PC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb