Windows 10 Creators Update GPU disaster

Viktor Varbanov

May 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I've got quite the issue with my craptop, it's quite the long story.

I've got a Lenovo G580, Model No: 20150; 6 GB RAM DDR3, Nvidia GeForce 635M.

It all began with me wanting to get the Creators Update. I had downloaded the Windows update assistant, got all necessary files and began installation. Laptop froze at 32% and did not move for at least an hour. I forced shut it down and then Windows tried repairing itself, then restoring to an older version - both processes failed. Got a clean install of an older version of Windows 10. All was well until drivers had to be downloaded by the system. All drivers that were downloaded were installed and I was prompted to restart. After the reboot, windows logo passed and I was looking at a completely black screen with not back light at all, no mouse curse, no nothing.

Determined that the issue was due to faulty graphics card driver. In order to boot into Windows and actually log on, I had to enter the BIOS and edit the Graphics card options. The only two I've got available are UMA Graphics and Switchable Graphics. Switched to the UMA one in order to actually use my laptop.

I had entered Safe Mode and removed the Nvidia driver that Windows had installed using Guru3D's driver remove tool, downloaded latest driver from Nvidia's website, installed it and then got my next issue.

Logging on, I was welcomed with an error message saying:

nvapi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

I do believe the rest of the message was somewhere between these lines:

Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. Error status 0xc00012f

Today I got another old version of Windows 10 (will add version when I get back home). All came to the beginning of the issue. Windows downloaded all updates there are, including the Creators Update, system froze at 32% again. Force shutdown, repaired or at least I didn't get a message saying otherwise. Saw the windows logo and then again, a completely black screen with not back light at all, no mouse curse, no nothing.

I am out of ideas already, would really love if someone could suggest something.

Best,
Vic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss