Windows 10 black screen after login

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
My PC was experiencing random, repeated freezes and shutdowns. I couldn't find any evidence of a hardware issue, so after a while I decided to reset the PC (preserve documents and files). After finishing this process, I was able to log into Windows. However, after the login page, a completely black screen is shown. I can use Ctrl-Alt-Del to access task manager - it shows up normally - or to restart Windows. But every time I return to Windows, I get the same black screen. I tried resetting it again but no change.
I found an article from Mauro that seemed to reference something similar, but he had a taskbar and possibly also a Start menu. He mentioned RunOnce.exe in processes or services but I haven't found that.
I don't think it's a video driver issue because I can see the login screen normally. But even if it is, how would I access that? The black screen comes back even if I boot in Safe Mode.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Benjamin Columbus

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
re:

Just checking in to say that I'm experiencing the same issue after installing insider preview build 16232, no desktop environment after login but I can get to ctrl alt delete menu and use task manager just fine. I think the best help would come from the windows forum.

revecom

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
re:

MBY... Try this as I just suffered a lost morning due to this issue.
Restart the computer and just as soon as you see EITHER an opening screen from your manufacturer (in my case ASUS) or if you see the Windows logo.... basically just any start-up indication, revolving circle etc. BEFORE the screen goes blank... HARD REBOOT by holding down the power button. It worked for me!!

revecom

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
re:

Unplug absolutely everything including power cable. Hard reboot the moment you see any activity on screen. Logos, revolving circle, whatever.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'm very confused by your suggestion and think I need more steps. If I continue to reboot any time I see anything at all, how am I ever going to get it working?

revecom

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
re:

Firstly I am not a technical guy. I am an ordinary guy like you, whose screen went black and I just did not know what to do about it.
I fixed my own problem and just wanted to share with you.
No I do not mean to perform multiple hard boots. Just hard reboot once... on seeing anything on the screen BEFORE it goes black. Hopefully you see a welcome or logo or twirling circle of dots BEFORE your screen goes black.
I was stuck with the dreaded black screen but I noticed the manufacturer's (ASUS in my case) welcome screen popped up RIGHT BEFORE THE SCREEN BLACKED OUT.
So I started up the computer again and waited for that precise moment I saw the manufacturer's welcome screen logo appear...(I also got the circle of twirling dots). So right then, at that very moment, I hit the power button and kept it depressed for 10 seconds. In effect I was performing a"hard reboot" of my system. All I can say is that when the computer came back on, its memory was jogged and it proceeded to load perfectly normally. I have not had the problem come back since.
I am not claiming any prizes here as apparently this procedure is a KNOWN FIX if you can get as far as seeing a blue Windows logo. I was not seeing any Windows logo but tried anyway on seeing the manufacturer's logo and before the black death arrived
Anyway... It worked and I am a.very happy camper.
The reason for my second post was that in some cases it is suggested bad starts may be due to faulty devices attached to the computer so removing ALL accessory items including unplugging the power cable may be beneficial. I certainly removed everything first
Good luck!

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

Ah, I see. For some reason, I'm able to consistently get a login screen. And even after I login and see a black screen, I can get to a perfectly functional Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. Anyway, I'll at least try the unplugging and slowly adding back devices. I won't be able to get anywhere without at least power, monitor, keyboard and maybe mouse.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hello,
My PC was experiencing random, repeated freezes and shutdowns. I couldn't find any evidence of a hardware issue, so after a while I decided to reset the PC (preserve documents and files). After finishing this process, I was able to log into Windows. However, after the login page, a completely black screen is shown. I can use Ctrl-Alt-Del to access task manager - it shows up normally - or to restart Windows. But every time I return to Windows, I get the same black screen. I tried resetting it again but no change.
I found an article from Mauro that seemed to reference something similar, but he had a taskbar and possibly also a Start menu. He mentioned RunOnce.exe in processes or services but I haven't found that.
I don't think it's a video driver issue because I can see the login screen normally. But even if it is, how would I access that? The black screen comes back even if I boot in Safe Mode.
Any help would be much appreciated!

My solution to this: task manager > locate windows explorer process and 'end' it > file > run new task > explorer.exe > ok

Mostly solves my issue :)

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I can't find explorer in the list of processes, which does seem like a problem. When I run explorer.exe I get this message: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Try clearing out your CMOS (Bios settings) by using the jumper on your motherboard as per your motherboard/computer manual. Then restore your firmware settings to defaults (don't miss out this step) before taking back to the way you usually have them. Then reinstall Windows from scratch using a disc or usb stick. Hopefully you'll then get a good install. Sounds like the install is going bad due to some confusion about your PC which may indicate a corruption of the CMOS data. And yes, try to have as few devices plugged in as possible during the install to count them out.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I did manage to get logged in at some point after unplugging everything. After that, it has pretty consistently correctly displayed the desktop. As I slowly over time started adding back devices, I found that it seemed like the culprit was my Bluetooth adapter. This is strange, because I did unplug that very early in the process of trying to resolve the freezing issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers