Microsoft selling user data?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Someone on the Android Central forum said that Microsoft is selling user data. I can't find evidence of this (other than on some videos and website by unknown people who seem more paranoid than actually out for the truth).

Does anyone have a trustworthy source to confirm or deny this?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Someone on the Android Central forum said that Microsoft is selling user data. I can't find evidence of this (other than on some videos and website by unknown people who seem more paranoid than actually out for the truth).

Does anyone have a trustworthy source to confirm or deny this?

I have a source - Microsoft's Privacy Statement https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

Also, check out Google's (IMO, this one is somewhat worse) https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a source - Microsoft's Privacy Statement https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

Also, check out Google's (IMO, this one is somewhat worse) https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

Thanks for the reply but I want to add that I'm not trying to start a Google VS Microsoft debate here. There's already plenty of those on here and they never go anywhere anyway. Both companies collect data and use it. I'm not interested in who's worst either. If one of them is doing something bad, it can't be excused with the other one doing something worst. All I want is to know what Microsoft does with our information.

Now the reason I'm not referring to their privacy statement in my original post is because of the vagueness they use. For instance:

"Reasons We Share Personal Data"

What does 'share' mean? They give it? Sell it? They show it on a billboard? (the last one's obviously a joke :winktongue:). Also what and who are "Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries" that feast on our personal data?

That's what I'm interested in knowing. I also don't want some paranoid unconditional Linux ******'s theories either (this seens contemptuous I know but I'm actually referring to a video I've seen this morning which was absolutely ridiculous in a tin hat kind of way).

I know I'm giving personal information. I just want to know exactly what they do with it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Technically they don't sell user data, except maybe to a government who demands it. They use the data for targeted advertising. The advertiser doesn't know about you until you contact them, but it's your choice then.

Think about it; if the companies sold user data, after the buyer had the data they would have no need of the company who supplied the data. Companies like Microsoft and Google protect the users' data at all costs.

The companies who you really should be worried about are not Microsoft and Google. You should be worried about your credit card companies and the stores you shop at. They make Google and Microsoft look like novices when it comes to handling user data!

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
They show it on a billboard? (the last one's obviously a joke :winktongue:).
Or is it? Haha

I think by affiliates and subsidiaries they mean companies like Yahoo or Apple that use Bing, for example. Microsoft's reach is pretty big with all they do, even if they don't sell it, data can get pretty far nowadays. As long as it's just for advertising or improving the experience on the products, I won't mind. If it goes somewhere that's not benefitting us and that somewhere gets hacked, that's where the problems would begin...

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Technically they don't sell user data, except maybe to a government who demands it. They use the data for targeted advertising. The advertiser doesn't know about you until you contact them, but it's your choice then.

Think about it; if the companies sold user data, after the buyer had the data they would have no need of the company who supplied the data. Companies like Microsoft and Google protect the users' data at all costs.

The companies who you really should be worried about are not Microsoft and Google. You should be worried about your credit card companies and the stores you shop at. They make Google and Microsoft look like novices when it comes to handling user data!

That is a very good point! I never thought of that.

Or is it? Haha

I think by affiliates and subsidiaries they mean companies like Yahoo or Apple that use Bing, for example. Microsoft's reach is pretty big with all they do, even if they don't sell it, data can get pretty far nowadays. As long as it's just for advertising or improving the experience on the products, I won't mind. If it goes somewhere that's not benefitting us and that somewhere gets hacked, that's where the problems would begin...

Ha ha! :winktongue:

No I don't mind either for MS or Google as I trust them. But that's the thing, I trust THEM but I don't know if I can trust the other ones.

That last phrase is part of my worry. Everything can be hacked. That's why I don't use Google Photos for example. I don't want pictures of my children spread around the Web if it ever gets hacked (and no I don't put those up on Facebook either... people usually try to trap me with that one ha ha :wink:).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb