Do MS consider Android O and IOS 11 features in making new features in Windows 10 upcoming updates?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it would depend on some factors

1. Is that feature compatibel with the MS roadmap for the OS in general? Does it make sense with the design language for windows OS?
  2. Is it relevant for the various form factors that exist such as desktop pc, laptop, hybrid, tablet, xbox and mobile?
  3. Is there a similar feature but implemented in a different way in W10? If yes, does it make sense to modify the currrent feature to match better the one in the 2 mobile platforms?
  4. Is there demand for such a feature on windows 10 OS?
  5. Are there patents regarding that particular feature?
  6. Does it add signifant value to W10? Does it imrpove efficiency, productivity and creativity?

There are other factors too but these are the ones I could think of for now

T-Dong

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I think they are trying, may be trying quite hard, to adopt some user-demand features. But changing Windows from the core is not an easy task. The inconsistency right now we are observing is the clear proof that Windows is de facto "under construction so far".
Whatever it is, Microsoft is quite a slowpoke. The gap is wider day by day.

Florin Musetoiu

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Do MS consider Android O and IOS 11 features in making new features in Windows 10 upcoming updates?

As i just jumped ship from Lumia 950 to iPhone 7 Plus i just want to point out some things MS is missing ...

1. Active and serious involvement into their mobile platform (at this point it`s like it doesn`t even exists)

2. The features are quite OK for now but they really need polishing ... Edge browser is atrocious to use with sites that have Disqus as comments for example .

3. They need to make links open dedicated apps .. from FB you are sent to Edge browser on a YT link instead of your favourite YT app ...

4. Stop asking money for devs to make apps for a while ... or even give them bonuses ... nobody is coming to Windows to gamble the time invested if the platform looks like a haunted place ...

5. Give real support even for older devices ... Lumia 930 has no issue running the latest OS and yet it`s thrown out ... Apple gave IOS 11 even for iPhone 5 ...

6. Help devs like for instance Facebook to have a decent app .. for not it takes sometimes up to 30 seconds to open the app on my Lumia 950 ... that`s not acceptable.

7. Do something with that battery life ...lost 2% of batter on my iPhone over night and this after watching 1h of a movie on HBO ... on a device with IPS panel ... the Lumia looses at least 5% with the screen closed the whole night ...

8. Show actual interest on your own apps ... Outlook on iOS is a much better app than the one on the Windows Mobile ... (WTF? )

The only thing that i miss for now is the great camera on the Lumia .. it beats the cr**p out of the dual lens camera on the iPhone 7 but i`m willing to live with that...

PS: with the constant nagging that "Edge is better / Cortana can do bla bla" notice on my Win 10 or random forced update Installs ... it makes me wonder how much users can take of this until they jump ship ? I want an OS not a News Letter interface for MS ....

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
1. It doesn't exist. The next iteration for MS in mobile is the Cellular PC.
2. I have no issue with Edge running the latest Insider Preview using disqus enabled sites.
3. Custom URL launching is coming in the Fall Creators Update. Apps need to register their protocol handler.
4. MS haven't asked Devs for money in a long time. I used to get build $99/y. Not anymore.
5. Not possible with underlying OS changes and older hardware not meeting minimum OS requirements
6. Facebook uses their own toolchain to build cross platform apps. NO amount of 'help' from MS will change that.
7. Agreed.
8. user preference. Plus Outlook on iOS is just a re-skinned acquisition.

PS: You didn't answer OP's original question.

To answer the OP's original question:
I think MS pay attention in as far as the Xamarin team is concerned. Anything else can be worked out later.

WP8Cr4ck3r

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I think MS is so out of touch with what the real world wants, I think they are doomed to continuously fail, or be left behind. I supported Windows Phone from Windows Phone 7 to 10, ending with a Lumia 830, and have since left. I know have a Samsung Edge 7. I miss the Live Tiles, but at least I don't miss many apps anymore, or feel left out. I still have a Windows tablet, and feel that is lacking too all the time. MS is so heads down with how to sell this now to Corporate management, and only listen to their feedback really, so real consumers are left in the dust, wishing a great platform to have what they want ... but I feel it never will :(

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I imagine the WP developer offices are like those things they have in Japan, where they send people to get so demotivated that they leave the company, rather than firing them.

Ron-F

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should do it. I just upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11 and I cannot change the photo and videos formats to the new more efficient HEIF and HEVC because Windows and OneDrive will not support it. Meanwhile, Google Photos already receive an update to support them.

MAUXIIS

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft is an ahead of the curve company...... In that, they are always first to start something but they have very little intentions of being the moving parts of a thing. They are the visionaries... The dreamers... The idealists... And I believe their ok with that. Sad part is... A lot of their fans aren't. It's been two years since they'll even hinted at anything mobile... And no, that isn't all they are about or stand for, but.... There are many of us who are (or had been) waiting to be able to experience what we know they are perfectly capable of. Just as they have the productivity arena sowed/locked up, if they "wanted to" they could occupy a good space in the mobile arena. But.... It's not their M.O.

It honestly pains me to move on, because I LOVE my Lumia 950XL, but... Like... C'mon... It's bad enough they're aren't as many apps, but ok.... I can live with that. But... Every other update, you break Skype... Like, c'mon... That's friggin' annoying. My main source of communication... Broken! SMH. How can the very thing that we all carry with us day in, day out to communicate, research, connect, etc. be the one thing that is the most unreliable.... Ge'ez!!!

I've been rocking with MS for so long now, but... I have to move on until they are ready to take mobile seriously. :crying::cry:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As i just jumped ship from Lumia 950 to iPhone 7 Plus i just want to point out some things MS is missing ...

1. Active and serious involvement into their mobile platform (at this point it`s like it doesn`t even exists)

2. The features are quite OK for now but they really need polishing ... Edge browser is atrocious to use with sites that have Disqus as comments for example .

3. They need to make links open dedicated apps .. from FB you are sent to Edge browser on a YT link instead of your favourite YT app ...

4. Stop asking money for devs to make apps for a while ... or even give them bonuses ... nobody is coming to Windows to gamble the time invested if the platform looks like a haunted place ...

5. Give real support even for older devices ... Lumia 930 has no issue running the latest OS and yet it`s thrown out ... Apple gave IOS 11 even for iPhone 5 ...

6. Help devs like for instance Facebook to have a decent app .. for not it takes sometimes up to 30 seconds to open the app on my Lumia 950 ... that`s not acceptable.

7. Do something with that battery life ...lost 2% of batter on my iPhone over night and this after watching 1h of a movie on HBO ... on a device with IPS panel ... the Lumia looses at least 5% with the screen closed the whole night ...

8. Show actual interest on your own apps ... Outlook on iOS is a much better app than the one on the Windows Mobile ... (WTF? )

The only thing that i miss for now is the great camera on the Lumia .. it beats the cr**p out of the dual lens camera on the iPhone 7 but i`m willing to live with that...

PS: with the constant nagging that "Edge is better / Cortana can do bla bla" notice on my Win 10 or random forced update Installs ... it makes me wonder how much users can take of this until they jump ship ? I want an OS not a News Letter interface for MS ....

1. They don't want to be active at the moment, we don't know for how long.

2. I'm using edge browser on a surface 3 for browsing sites that use disqus - and they all work for me just fine. Could you be more specific on how edge doesn't perform according to your expectations?

3. I thought this was an app option? Where the app developer has to enable it and you as the user have to decide which links open in which app

4. The windows store is growing steadily, I'm not sure what you mean by haunted. Don't other app stores also charge developers? Or does iOS and Android charge nothing?

5. MS has retrenched from the mobile space for now. So it would be understandable for them to not give full attention to the mobile segment

6. Facebook decided to port their app from iOS and not develop a new one - so it's facebook's problem - does the app work well on pc? If yes, then they will just let it run as it is

We're losing focus here - the original question was about getting features from iOS and Android onto windows OS

You may be considering jumping ship - but the latest news about MS has been about getting 700000 new users on office 365 - that shows a vote of confidence in MS, don't you think?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I think MS is so out of touch with what the real world wants, I think they are doomed to continuously fail, or be left behind. I supported Windows Phone from Windows Phone 7 to 10, ending with a Lumia 830, and have since left. I know have a Samsung Edge 7. I miss the Live Tiles, but at least I don't miss many apps anymore, or feel left out. I still have a Windows tablet, and feel that is lacking too all the time. MS is so heads down with how to sell this now to Corporate management, and only listen to their feedback really, so real consumers are left in the dust, wishing a great platform to have what they want ... but I feel it never will :(

What does the real world want then? I want a cheaper office suite - but MS won't change that pricing soon, will they?

I believe that the insider programs has helped MS stay more in touch with the end users than ever before. It's our feedback that is helping them develop Windows 10 OS, office programs, xbox and more besides faster than ever before. Instead of waiting 3-5 years for a major update, we can now get them every year.

Except for mobile, is there any serious flaw to what Microsoft's strategy? Number of windows 10 users are growing, number of edge browser users are growing, MS apps are amongst the top 10 in iOS and Android, surface sales are steadily growing, revenue from office 365, azure and other cloud services are growing, search is up, xbox is up. As far as I know, there's barely nothing that MS are seriously failing at

So I don't know in which scenario they are being left behind

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should do it. I just upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11 and I cannot change the photo and videos formats to the new more efficient HEIF and HEVC because Windows and OneDrive will not support it. Meanwhile, Google Photos already receive an update to support them.

Onedrive already supports it: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16332192/apple-ios-11-heic-iphone-image-format

I've been rocking with MS for so long now, but... I have to move on until they are ready to take mobile seriously.

So what will you move on to? Macbook or chromebook? Playstation or...- I have no idea, I don't play games

Gmail or yahoo?
Google or something else?
Iphone or pixel? Both cost 1000USD+
open office or libreoffice?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Let's please stick to the original questio of which no one has given a comprehensive answer yet

What features from either Android or iOS do you think would make sense to be brought to Windows 10 OS?

This is not a discussion about problems with old lumia devices or their lack thereof

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria