Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
  • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think using the W7 key is out.
I would imagine that you could use the W10H and then pay to upgrade to pro.
I'm not 100% though. Hopefully, somebody will come along who is more knowledgeable on this.

Aravind Belagaje

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
  • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)
Yes you can use windows 7 pro key and get windows 10 pro. Go to settings -> update & security -> activate windows and change product key. the pc will restart and take a similar process like upgrade.

Note in this process no data is lost however if you want to revert back to home then you will loose your data.

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Update:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1st attempt: convert Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using generic key (ends in 3V66T) resulted in error: https://imgur.com/a/kovzT[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2nd attempt: put Windows 7 Pro key in Windows 10 Home "change key" field resulted in error[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3rd attempt: reinstall Windows 10 as Pro and enter Windows 7 Pro Key: Activation SUCCESS![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you all![/FONT]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo