Fall Creator's Update Fails during reboot and reverts to previous version

kennethyip

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
I have Lenovo G500s laptop which is trying to update. It is in a loop as it:
1. Reboot to start the update
2. After about 25%, it reboots during the update
3. During the reboot (maybe 15 seconds into reboot), screen flashes, and screen saids reverting to previous version

This cycle will repeat itself.

Using Windows Media tool and USB, I try to do the update.
The error code is: 0x80070057, 0x2000A
The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation.

Help?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
3. During the reboot (maybe 15 seconds into reboot), screen flashes, and screen saids reverting to previous version

The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation.

Help?

Usually the Microsoft Community site has the answer for thimgs like this.. Here's a link that might help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/7af7d0b1-8e2c-4d34-b3fe-cff14f0dc02a?auth=1

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Help?

If you can access the hard drive then I would recommend backing up your data and reinstalling the o/s from the creators update. The fall creators update is known to be buggy, especially for laptops.

When reinstalling, create two partitions one for the o/s and one for your data. So if this happens again all you have to do is reinstall the o/s. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to go for the hair brained idea of removing the F8 key in favour of launching recovery options from a install media or the settings.

Alternatively, you're best bet is to create windows p.e boot usb and and partition your drive.

Move your data to the newly created partition and reinstall the o/s on the o/s partition.

Ideally you're best best is to get an external and move your data onto that external drive than partition your drive. As either you may run out of space when shrinking the main partition, this can be caused by a heavily fragmented drive (disktrix's ultimate defrag is the best defrag software I found for this scenario as you can see where the files are located on the platters, presuming you have a mechanical drive - if an SSD - a defrag programme is a big no go).

In the worst case scenario you may have a bsod whilst shrinking the partition, which could render some of your priceless data corrupt.

kennethyip

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I gave up trying to do the update and re-install windows 10 from the creators update iso. Everything is working fine for about a month now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05