Windows 8 with mouse - is that difficult

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys, I know this topic may not fit at all with this forum sub-category or may be in wpcentral, but just posting here since I know wpcentral covers things about Windows 8 and even outlook.com and I did not found any forum sub-category related to Windows 8.

Windows 8 will become major factor for the success of Windows Phone 8 thats because of consistent Metro UI. And if Windows Phone 8's so called secret thing is the Windows 8 replicated gestures - then things will become more dependent.

I am using Windows 8 for at least 3 months now. And I find it very difficult to switch back to Windows 7. Thats just because of sheer speed of Windows 8.

I use it with mouse and keyboard (yeah no touch :( ) But it feels very easy with these traditional input devices. However people out there really shout too much about killed productivity with mouse and keyboard. So I just prepared a 5 minute video to explain the same

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9LX0bR_fM[/YT]

So, what people here think?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is really great. I've been trying the customer preview and really liked it, but I couldnt figure out some of these things. Gonna save the link for anyone who complains about Win8 in the future lol :D

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice job. I thought 8 with a mouse and keyboard was going to be a pain so I ordered a touch screen for my 8 setup. I actually find the touch/keyboard/mouse combo work great together for 8. I use touch for a lot of 8 stuff but I find I use the mouse and keyboard a lot also. I think 8 is great no matter what input devices you use.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Tile resizing while not an everyday task seems to be easy enough. Only thing I will say is that you resized a tile on the right side and had to go all the way over to the left bottom to pick an option. What makes it worst is that when you change the size, the option menu goes away and if you wanted to change the size again, you have to go back to the tile to right click it. I know the old fashioned right click menu is not very "metro" but it would have been nice to find a way to still have the right click option near where you were clicking. Or at least keep the options up till you click off that tile or something.

Then when you want the whole app list by right clicking it pops up on the bottom right????

Why not make everything pop up on the bottom in the same spot. Then when there are options at the bottom, the icon could slide all the way to the bottom right so you still have a visual representation of what options list you are working with just as it is now in the options panel.

I think w8 looks great and will love using it after my learning curve, but inconsistencies are the bane of MS.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
As a video it is great. Lots of info, easy to digest.

You should either zoom in or circle everything you want to focus on. Desktop was only one zoomed in on. I prefer the Zoom as it doesn't graffiti up the Metro landscape.

Well done, though adding music might liven it up.

Add some music and it could be official, excellent work.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
also, logitech is releasing a few awesome touch mouse and touch pads that will make windows 8 on non touchscreen desktops very much usable.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
First of all, well done for taking the time to do this.

As a video it is great. Lots of info, easy to digest.

You should either zoom in or circle everything you want to focus on. Desktop was only one zoomed in on. I prefer the Zoom as it doesn't graffiti up the Metro landscape.

Well done, though adding music might liven it up.

Add some music and it could be official, excellent work.

Definitely agree with this! The lack of music made it feel boring. Some nice related music could help. Maybe use Fruity Loops? The zoom thing would be useful too as it would enable you to see certain menu's etc.

also, logitech is releasing a few awesome touch mouse and touch pads that will make windows 8 on non touchscreen desktops very much usable.

Multi-touch? If so that'll be ace for me. I already use an Apple Magic trackpad.

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Multi-touch? If so that'll be ace for me. I already use an Apple Magic trackpad.

Yep - amazon are already showing the logitech t620 (the one I'm tempted by) for ?68.

You can the three Logitech offerings here:
Logitech launches Windows 8-ready touchpad and mice

I've got a fantastic mouse already though - but not multitouch - how do you find using the magic trackpad makes a difference? (I'm quite happily using windows 8 without multi-touch on my desktop pc)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yep - amazon are already showing the logitech t620 (the one I'm tempted by) for ?68.

You can the three Logitech offerings here:
Logitech launches Windows 8-ready touchpad and mice

I've got a fantastic mouse already though - but not multitouch - how do you find using the magic trackpad makes a difference? (I'm quite happily using windows 8 without multi-touch on my desktop pc)

The touchpad looks good. I hope Microsoft makes their own version. I typically prefer MS's designs over Logitechs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6