Buying Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So i'm utterly confused. I have Windows 7 running on my PC currently, it's not legitimate, however I'd like to buy Windows 8 and install it on my computer, however I don't have a clue what I should buy. Theres the Microsoft upgrade download edition which I'd love to buy, however I'm guessing I can't upgrade my version of Windows 7 as it doesn't have a valid key? Or does it not matter as long as I've bought Windows 8?

I've looked online for a version which will let me install Windows 8 out right without any upgrades however I can't find them anywhere, it's quite frustrating to be honest, could anyone advise me?

Thanks.

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused too, and was hoping I could buy it on their website come midnight. 12:05am of the 26th here in New Zealand but nope, no midnight launch :(

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused too, and was hoping I could buy it on their website come midnight. 12:05am of the 26th here in New Zealand but nope, no midnight launch :(

I think I heard somewhere that they're announcing the product to the rest of the world ahead of time (like the announcement in China the other day) but they won't actually be AVAILABLE to the world until the 26th in the US.

And I have no idea about which Windows 8 to upgrade with. I'm just buying a new computer that comes with it :-/.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I got a Win 8 System builder off Amazon for $ 100...and Win 8 Pro with a $ 30 promotional discount from Amazon, I would suggest you look at them.
"Windows 8 System Builder is for pre-installation on a new personal computer or installation on a computer that is not currently running Windows 7, Vista, or XP. "

Hope this helps.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
A member of the family has a Windows 7 ultimate partner key which i've been able to get hold of luckily. So if my understanding is correct, I should be able to input that key into my current Windows 7 install which will make it legitimated, and then upgrade Windows 8 Pro over that? I must admit this has all been very badly explained by Microsoft.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will help with your invalid Windows 7, but here is clarification from Microsoft Store:

Windows 8 Pro
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

Windows 8 Pro-Pack
If your PC is running Windows 8, you can get Windows 8 Pro Pack and enjoy all the features of Windows 8 Pro. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There's just no explanation of what to do if you have your own hardware and no copy of windows, unfortunately Microsoft's opinion seems to be, buy new hardware.

Jonah P

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: Windows 8 System Builder DVD 64-Bit: Software

This is the System Builder. This is how you install a fresh operating on a system that currently does not have an operating system. This is the non-upgrade version. I am confused because it does say "No Operating System" under the platform on Amazon so I don't know what that means but this is the only option for fresh/new installs.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05