This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm looking into upgrading to Windows 8, however there are a few things holding me back that I would like to clarify before I jump the gun.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on a Dell XPS 17 Laptop (64bit ed.)

1) Are there any issues installing straight from a 64bit ed. of Windows 7 to a 64bit version of Windows 8 Pro? (Is 64 bit ed. included?)

2) Will I still be able to use my Zune HD with the new Xbox Music software on Windows 8, or will I no longer be able to sync music onto my Zune HD?

3) Say for example I get a virus, or for various reasons I need to do a clean install on my computer later on, by purchasing the $40 upgrade, how do I go about doing the fresh install, as I believe this is not the "full OS, because it needs a previous version of Windows installed to do a clean install; is that correct? Or how does that work?

4) One feature I loved about Windows 7 Ultimate was the ability to switch between multi-lingual keyboards as I frequently type in different languages, especially Russian. Is Windows 8 Pro capable of doing this?

Any other advice for starting out with Windows 8, or suggestions on upgrading are much appreciated! (I've heard from many it's probably best to just do a fresh install from scratch and re-install all your programs and files from back-up simply as rule of thumb; comments? Thanks guys!)

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    So I'm looking into upgrading to Windows 8, however there are a few things holding me back that I would like to clarify before I jump the gun.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on a Dell XPS 17 Laptop (64bit ed.)

1) Are there any issues installing straight from a 64bit ed. of Windows 7 to a 64bit version of Windows 8 Pro? (Is 64 bit ed. included?)

2) Will I still be able to use my Zune HD with the new Xbox Music software on Windows 8, or will I no longer be able to sync music onto my Zune HD?

3) Say for example I get a virus, or for various reasons I need to do a clean install on my computer later on, by purchasing the $40 upgrade, how do I go about doing the fresh install, as I believe this is not the "full OS, because it needs a previous version of Windows installed to do a clean install; is that correct? Or how does that work?

4) One feature I loved about Windows 7 Ultimate was the ability to switch between multi-lingual keyboards as I frequently type in different languages, especially Russian. Is Windows 8 Pro capable of doing this?

Any other advice for starting out with Windows 8, or suggestions on upgrading are much appreciated! (I've heard from many it's probably best to just do a fresh install from scratch and re-install all your programs and files from back-up simply as rule of thumb; comments? Thanks guys!)

1) No issues unless you run into driver problems that you can always fix after. And it will download 32 bit or 64bit depending on what you run the upgrade assistant on.

2) You can still run the zune software.

3) You can do a fresh install anytime you want. Your product key is what matters here. They tell you it and e-mail it to you.

4) Windows 8 has basically everything Windows 7 has, so yes multilingual keyboard support.

Like I said. Virtually every aspect is Windows 7 is in Windows 8. They just made the start bar a full screen menu.
    TrophyNostalgia likes this.

Global Posts
    47,750 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll want to get the Media Center while it is available for free. http://www.pcworld.com/article/20133...of-charge.html

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you do a fresh installation? Mine keeps on upgrading

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    How do you do a fresh installation? Mine keeps on upgrading
    I just finished my clean installation of Windows 8 today, I have few complaints about it. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but once you understand it, it is a beautiful, snappy, and fast operating system to use! Loving it, thanks for all the help guys.

In response to your question for clean install I had to boot from the Upgrade DVD (restart your computer, hit F2; go to your boot options, and select boot from DVD/CD.) If you downloaded Windows 8, you have to do export the OS to a flashdrive or ISO. I initially just popped the DVD in my computer and said keep nothing, but that still is not the same as a clean install and it just stored a Windows.old on my computer. You need to boot from DVD drive (or USB if you used download) select advanced install, re-format your harddrive to erase it, and then install windows fresh. Let me know if you need any more clarification.