Some hearsay about Windows 8

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
This is going to be one of those "heard from a friend of a friend" posts so skeptics please don't shoot the messenger!

I was talking to a programmer friend of mine who happens to know a friend that works in the Windows division of MS. We were discussing Windows 8 and the topic of Sinofsky's departure came up. My friend had a big smile on his face (because he hates the start screen) and said that he was told that we should expect big changes to Windows 8 by spring.

Apparently, MS got a lot of feedback from testers saying that they would like options to go straight to desktop, start menu, etc (those problems that a lot of people are complaining about). Windows 8 was Sinofsky's project and he didn't want people messing with his ideas so he was rigid on his stance about no start menu and all the rest. This is where he and others in the company butted heads. With Win 8 not selling as much as they would like they let him go.

So now according to my friend's source, there will most likely be a service pack out in the future (possibly spring) that will make the Windows 8 desktop experience more like Windows 7.

Personally I'm a bit skeptical myself because I don't know how much they would change. Adding a traditional start menu would kind of indicate that MS is conceding that the original idea was a failure. It's then how much they value pride over revenue.

Also, would a service pack really be able to add that type of functionality back? I know they could make cosmetic changes, but there would probably be a lot of work involved in order to change the start screen to desktop behaviour.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
well, Stardock has a Start button replacement program out, and had it pretty much from launch, if not before, so it might not be too difficult for MS to add that functionality back in.

i installed the Stardock program (called "Start 8"), and it is fine...however...i have found that i almost never use it, relying completely on the new interface.

very interesting news, though...i could see something like that happening.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've heard this also, and I do agree that on a business desktop PC, the new Start Screen is useless. I've upgraded my work PC to Win8 and I'm only on the desktop, and rarely use the Start Screen. For a touchscreen tablet or notebook? Yes, the tiles would be great!

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've heard this also, and I do agree that on a business desktop PC, the new Start Screen is useless.

You should learn to use snap more often. On a larger, wide-screen display, it's actually pretty nice. I used Windows 8 with two 24" displays when I was doing enterprise tech support for a law enforcement agency. Some aspects of the Start Screen cone in handy, as do some Modern UI apps.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there are so many stupid start bar utilities now for Windows 8....they are even in the store. One called Classic Start 8 is even free.

After learning all the gestures in 8 (which learning is part of every new OS) it feels positively archaic to go back to the start button.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I rarely used the Start button to begin with. It got to be more of a handicap on Windows than a benefit. Before switching to Win 8 I always changed the Start button behavior back to the "Classic" interface.

MSFT is better off sticking to their guns and make users adapt. Leaders do not ask for direction. They provide it!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as I can keep my Win 8 as it is currently, no way I'm going back to something that resembles the Windows 7 experience more than it does Windows 8.

I do agree though that not having the options for the traditional things was probably a bad call, but I guess at the same time then many many people would've avoided learning the new UI.

I rarely used the Start-menu in the old system too and when I did, it did absolutely nothing the current system can't do. Basically I see Windows 8 being the goodness of Windows 7 + a LOT of amazing things in addition, so for me Windows 8 is a netgain in every sense to Windows 7.

I constantly find myself cursing at the archaity of Windows 7 when I use devices without Win 8 :p

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've heard this also, and I do agree that on a business desktop PC, the new Start Screen is useless.

no actually it is brilliant, because you can lock down the PC to just a start screen of company approved apps and keep them out of the guts of PCs that result in so many support calls. Also, all the company required apps are right there in their face. No more calls asking what stupid start menu a prog is under, and no more doofuses drowning in a sea of desktop shortcuts.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
As long as I can keep my Win 8 as it is currently, no way I'm going back to something that resembles the Windows 7 experience more than it does Windows 8.

I do agree though that not having the options for the traditional things was probably a bad call, but I guess at the same time then many many people would've avoided learning the new UI.

I rarely used the Start-menu in the old system too and when I did, it did absolutely nothing the current system can't do. Basically I see Windows 8 being the goodness of Windows 7 + a LOT of amazing things in addition, so for me Windows 8 is a netgain in every sense to Windows 7.

I constantly find myself cursing at the archaity of Windows 7 when I use devices without Win 8 :p

I couldn't agree more. I upgraded to Windows 8 last week and never regret my decision. I will say at first there was a steep learning curve, however now after a week or so of getting used to and learning Windows 8, I applaud Microsoft's move. If they bring back the traditional start bar I will actually be upset. People need to realize many things are easier when actually being rid of the startbar. If you know how to search, use Windows 8's charms, and its shortcuts; everything is so much easier through Windows 8 functionality. Probably my only complaints are it is difficult to create icons on the desktop if they are not there; and you can't search directly from the desktop (by just typing) as you would on the "metro" interface. There are a few minor issues here and there but I think once people get over the drastic change that Windows 8 is, they will actually learn to appreciate it. (And this is coming from a classic laptop user, with keyboard and mouse.) I find the interface just as fluid without a touch device. I'm even helping my girlfriend upgrade her laptop this week.

My only thoughts for Windows 8, is how does it work in a business setting. Working with IT, I struggle to see how in the corporate environment; facebook updates and etc... Windows 8 is a positive... Windows 8 definitely is more evolved around the social individual rather than a heavy use corporate or educational environment.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm a bit skeptical myself because I don't know how much they would change. Adding a traditional start menu would kind of indicate that MS is conceding that the original idea was a failure. It's then how much they value pride over revenue.

I agree. It would seem weird for Microsoft to revert back after putting the idea and benefits of it out to the public. Then again, looking at your words, was the emphasis specifically on the desktop portion of Windows 8? Because it could mean the Start screen will remain in tact but certain elements of the desktop will behave differently. Plus making it "more like Windows 7" could mean a lot of things. Was there more that your buddy said?

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
of curse there will be always a space for improvement, start menu gone forever and its not coming back i think they are moving forward with touch interface don't forget julie larson-green is the one who's pushing touch into windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss