Guidance to uninstall, format drive, then re-install Windows 8

FreeFool

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking for some help and I will try to explain my problem briefly.

My desktop PC had Vista pre-installed, and I dont have much on the machine except for photos, music, movies and few documents. Now I transferred all this media to a portable drive for safe keeping. The issue is for some reason my hard drive still shows 75 gigs of 150 as being free. There is no real reason why so much space is being used. In my limited knowledge, I would only expect up to around 20 gigs to be used up as i dont have any major big programs installed. I have run defrag, CCleaner and other similar products to try to increase disk space with limited success.

Anyway, I thought that if I upgraded to Windows 8 it would essentially install and overwrite everything and i would have a clean and tidy PC. I installed Windows 8 with no problem (to my surprise) via the upgrade assistant and the whole process to just over an hour. I did choose the option to keep nothing from Vista, in an attempt to recover hard disk space. Once installed, it appears to run well, I played a couple of Xbox games (got some achievements :eek:) ), checked my email, surfed the net etc. Now though, the hard disk shows 48 gigs free of 150!! I am not happy with this and I would like to format the hard drive and start from scratch.

The issue is that I did not save the ISO file, so I cant reinstall at this moment in time but I am prepared to go and buy a physical retail disk version on Windows 8 - I just want my hard disk space back, I dont mind paying ?50 to get it.

The issue is I have never done anything like this before (I have always bought a PC with the OS installed). Can anyone provide some guidance on how i can uninstall Windows 8, format my drive, and re-install Windows 8 from the disk which i would assume would have to be run from dos?

Any help or pointers will be gratefully received!! Thank you.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I never upgrade, just back-up what I need to keep (which is done already on my home server) and clean install. Format the install drive, create a new partition and its off to the races.

FreeFool

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
Thanks for the responses.
I can confirm that the refresh and reset option did solve the issue, deleted everything and left me with Windows 8 and 90% free hard disk space and no other programs installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss