Who cares about the damn start menu?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The start menu is useless in W8... people should just stop complaining about it... Was the start menu the most used feature of Windows XP/7? certainly not... the only time it was useful it was when I had to go on the control panel... now I simply have to click on the windows key and click on the control panel tile that I pined to the start screen... How is that hard?

It's called moving forward... I couldn't care less about the lack of start menu... If people can complain about something, they will...

But yeah don't upgrade to Windows 8, it might have better performances, better security against malwares, cloud integration, social media integration or a apps store... No stay away from all that because you don't have a start menu in W8 and that is the most important feature an OS can have!

I can't believe how people are so attached to their damn start menu! It was cool in Windows XP then it was less useful in Windows 7 and now we don't need it anymore... Power users that cannot understand a new OS are not power users, so they should stop complaining about Windows 8 not being power users friendly. It is a great OS for any kind of user... but it has a learning curve just like anything new...

I wish everyone was smart enough to understand that, but it seems like journalists believe that Windows users are more likely to be completely lost in learning how Apple's OS X work than spending 2 days of learning the W8's new interface and features... and there is no start menu in OS X... it's messy OS that is certainly not intuitive, but gets more credits for it's "simplicity" than Windows 7/8.

So how is the lack of Start Menu ruining your life?

bbqrooster

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Start Menu. I have so many programs installed that finding something by scrolling in Start Menu is a lost case. I pin my most used programs to the task bar. The task bar is what I use day in day out. Having no Start Menu does not impede me in any way.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It is not the lack of Start Menu, that is ruining my life, it's more the lack of a fast way to turn of my computer (sure, it's easy to create a shortcut, but I had to look it up anyway, not so easy for someone who isn't really interested in these things), the lack of a context menu (Why do I have to move my mouse that much if I right click something? My screen is large!) and the lack for dual screen support*.

*The only improvement in dual screen support for Windows 8, is different wallpapers on either screen. I can't even attach a window to the right side of the left screen.

And why are there two control panels anyway? One for the "old" system, and one for the "metro" stuff?

I think it's not about the start menu, it's about this terrible mess Microsoft created by trying to merge tablets and computers. And don't get me wrong, I love Windows Phone 8, I just can't start to like Windows 8.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It is not the lack of Start Menu, that is ruining my life, it's more the lack of a fast way to turn of my computer (sure, it's easy to create a shortcut, but I had to look it up anyway, not so easy for someone who isn't really interested in these things), the lack of a context menu (Why do I have to move my mouse that much if I right click something? My screen is large!) and the lack for dual screen support*.

*The only improvement in dual screen support for Windows 8, is different wallpapers on either screen. I can't even attach a window to the right side of the left screen.

And why are there two control panels anyway? One for the "old" system, and one for the "metro" stuff?

I think it's not about the start menu, it's about this terrible mess Microsoft created by trying to merge tablets and computers. And don't get me wrong, I love Windows Phone 8, I just can't start to like Windows 8.

I never used the metro control panel, in fact when I search for it from the star screen it brings me to the desktop version. As for dual screen, I've heard some people complain about it, while others thought it was much simpler in W8. Turning off my computer was messy the first week or so, but then you develop some skills with Windows 8 and it's pretty much as fast as it used to be. But let's be honest, you are never in a URGE to shut your PC down... if you are in a hurry you can click (Win key + L) which will lock your computer and you are ready to go.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Dual screen is a bit off still. If I am watching a video in VLC desktop and go to my start screen to open mail, then click my movie screen to change volume or pause, the mail screen will minimize. However, if I go to my mail app, then alt+tab and select the vlc window with my mouse, mail will stay up on one screen and vlc will be the active screen again. But wait. If I alt+tab and then use tab to switch between windows it will minimize my mail app. Not sure why this happens. Sometimes when I switch between metro apps and desktop apps, both stay visible. Most times it does not. Quite annoying.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I installed Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro and I'm quite impressed. The Start screen feels quite useful to me actually. Sure its a very different way of doing things that must have taken quite a bit of out of the box thinking to come up with but its definitely a more efficient and useful way of doing things given that people are willing to step out of their comfort zone. The traditional Start button, desktop paradigm was actually not intuitive. I say this because if you give a system with that layout to someone who's never used a computer before they find it quite confusing. Indeed we had (maybe still have) training classes that just teach you how to operate that stuff, which is ridiculous since a UI should be user friendly to the extent that its a natural extension of how you do things.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
@Coreldan: Agreed...Pin the stuff I like and use most frequently and put it where I need it. Sort of reminds me of...Windows Phone!:grin:

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For the 2 control panels. I assuming you are referring to the "PC settings" under the settings charm? I don't see what is wrong with it. You have a quick and easy to access settings page with commonly used settings to run your entire computer. I don't think my parents need to go into the actual control panel for anything... But if they want to make quick PC changes, there is a spot for what they need. You may disagree but everything is in there for light, casual PC users that aren't very computer savvy.

As for quick shutting down the computer. You do realize that just hitting your power button on your desktop or laptop will turn the computer off, right? and im not talking about holding it for 10 seconds until it forces a shutdown.. I mean just press the button and it will turn the PC off.. with that aside (which is easier then even the win 7 off), you could also just open the start menu and start typing "turn off" and under settings, the first option is "turn off my PC". But I will admit, it took me exactly 3 Mississippi seconds to get from this textbox to the PC shutdown via the charms menu. I could see how that might be a turn off for people (ooooo... punny?)...

But to go back to the topic at hand.. Yes, I prefer the win8 start menu because honestly, was the old start menu REALLY that important? how often did you think "oh I can't wait to go home and hit the start menu button!"... never! you wanted to go home and play your games, watch a movie, browse the internet, whatever! all of which can be done even easier (since you can fully organize it now) in the windows 8 start menu.. as well as have live tile updates for many of those tasks I just mentioned.. not to mention the social integration and such too and all the other win8 related features.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
As for quick shutting down the computer. You do realize that just hitting your power button on your desktop or laptop will turn the computer off, right? and im not talking about holding it for 10 seconds until it forces a shutdown.. I mean just press the button and it will turn the PC off.. with that aside (which is easier then even the win 7 off), you could also just open the start menu and start typing "turn off" and under settings, the first option is "turn off my PC". But I will admit, it took me exactly 3 Mississippi seconds to get from this textbox to the PC shutdown via the charms menu. I could see how that might be a turn off for people (ooooo... punny?)...

Okay, I think I didn't make myself clear. I'll try to explain why I always bring the example of turning the computer off. It's not because I can't learn and it's not because I didn't find a solution that suits me (I have created a shortcut, so I have one mouse click to turn the computer off, so that's not the problem.)

Let's assume Microsoft would decide, well, people nowadays have cordless mice, we should put this to use. In Windows 8.5/9 people will turn off the computer by kissing the bottom of the mouse (this is ergonomic, and people won't get an infection that way). It's fast, it's efficient, studies showed that people touch their face all the time, so it's a natural arm movement, everybody loves kissing, it's just perfect. So, yes, I see the reason in this, it all makes sense to me, it's a nice explanation... except, it feels forced, it feels strange, it feels unnecessary. And yes, this is a unrealistic and extreme example, and I really meant it to be at least a little bit funny, but it shows the way I feel about the new start menu.

So, am I glad you guys love Windows 8? Yes, I am, and I really would love to love it too. Do I love it? No, I don't. Maybe it is because Win 7 is a great system and I don't see another reason to change it except that Microsoft is afraid of losing the tablet market and I really don't see any use in tablets, except of them being (expensive and boring) toys.

Can I live with Windows 8? Sure, but to me it feels as if Microsoft waited to long, and then they panicked.

And after all, it's just my opinion, so no hard feelings :)

Do I see anything good in Windows 8? Yes, I think it was a great idea to unify tablets, phones and computers, and this mostly because of apps. New computers will be sold with Windows 8, Windows 8 will grow for sure, apps will be programmed. That will lead to more apps for Windows RT and will make the tablet area stronger. These apps are easily brought onto Windows Phone 8, so that makes me happy. Do I like how it was executed by Microsoft? ...no, because of the reasons I wrote here before, not really.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about the start menu. I use it as much as I use the finder in OSX, in other words, rarely. What I don't like about W8 is the impersonal nature of the home screen. When I fire up my laptop or convertible, I'm always greeted by my beautiful daughter smiling at me. I don't know about the rest of you, but a bunch of boxes before my 1st coffee doesn't do it for me.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't appreciate a touchscreen OS on a non touch screen device. Sales numbers suggest that most people view the same way.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't appreciate a touchscreen OS on a non touch screen device. Sales numbers suggest that most people view the same way.

Have you tried windows 8? Just because it works on a touch screen doesn't stop it from working with a mouse and keyboard. What features are you missing in windows 8 that you can only do with a touch screen? What is the difference between clicking with your finger and clicking with your mouse?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't upgraded my main PC to Windows 8 yet because I want to wait until I know for sure that some older versions of Maya, Photoshop, etc... work well enough, and that there are significant enough improvements to make it worth it for my 5 yr old PC.

Otherwise, I'll just wait another few months and upgrade to a brand new PC.

I'd also like to see a decent selection of good touch-screen monitors available as stand-alones. The only decent ones I've seen appear to be part of all-in-one PCs. But since I need to have a decent graphics card, that's not an option for me.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I believe you'll be seeing a range of options when it comes to peripherals. Microsoft already makes a touch-sensitive mouse. That's just the beginning.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, computers are not like the old Windows Mobile phones where you could get a non-touchscreen version. That being said, I don't see your point when it comes to a desktop OS. If your finger can point to it, so can your mouse. Or your Wacom stylus, capacitive stylus or whatever input device you're using. OSX went with this "theme" before Windows 8 and I don't hear anyone moaning that Mountain Lion is a flop.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I just received my Windows 8 computer (ASUS VivoBook X202E, an 11.6" touchscreen with a Core i3 processor) and I don't miss the Start button (Charms bar and just typing on the main screen do the trick). What I DO miss is being able to easily go back one step while in an app, the Windows Store, settings, etc. while in the Metro interface. I've found myself pressing the Esc button multiple times in an effort to go back a step (like you can do on the HTC Trophy Windows Phone and for that matter Android devices but you can't do on an iPhone unless there is a dedicated back button on the screen). Sure, I could default to "Windows 7 without a Start button" mode or swipe/pull down from the top of the screen to exit the app/screen, but I don't always want to do that.

Two other things I don't like are 1) how when you are downloading an app, the toast notifications bump you out of the app type selection screen to the main app selection screen and 2) the (apparent) inability to get the battery level when in Metro interface mode.

I have to play around with Windows 8 more, but part of me thinks it is combination of something really awesome and something that is a little screwed up and hasn't had all the kinks worked out yet. When I use my (also new) ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 in netbook configuration (which is how I almost always use it when I use it) or even my year-old Windows 7 laptop, I can't help but think clicking on static icons is boring. On the other hand, there are enough niggling things I've experienced with Windows 8 (things I did not experience with Windows Phone 7) that's it's annoying. I am very encouraged about Windows 8 going forward though.

Last edited:

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried windows 8? Just because it works on a touch screen doesn't stop it from working with a mouse and keyboard. What features are you missing in windows 8 that you can only do with a touch screen? What is the difference between clicking with your finger and clicking with your mouse?

I'll add that at least some of the conventional, non-touch screen features in Windows 8 Metro interface, like closing the screen or apps by pulling down from the top of the screen, work very well/easily.

JussiRM

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the start menu since Vista to Windows 7. Just hit Windows key and type away the program you want to open. Easy. I find it hard to believe that the Windows 8 start menu is faster or more convenient. It's filling up the whole screen, feeling bloated. And yes, the "damn start menu" is what has been keeping me away from Windows 8. It just feels so wrong for desktop. I'm not saying Windows 8 is worse than Windows 7 - I believe it has better features and so on. It is indeed a whole new version of this software. And I will probably update to it sometime, but I will probably investigate some means to get the old Start menu back.

Point is I fail to see how the new start menu is actually better than the old (Windows 7). I find it inferior, clearly designed tablets in mind. This said, I have not used Windows 8 yet and there might be something I don't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte