Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 126 to 144 of 144
Like Tree78Likes
  1. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Find control panel. Intuitive?
    Being intuitive is sort of a questionable argument. I could say that before Win 8 finding Control Panel wasnt specifically intuitive either,but we're just used to where it is in all these years now. Typing "contr" and by that time the metro UI will let you just hit enter and open control panel is just as intuitive as something else, really, it just comes down to people not being used to doing that for years now. If you ask me, it's easier and faster to do than before.

    Same sorta goes for Android's, iOS, Symbian, WP.. There are ways to make things more intuitive and it's sorta by giving visual clue where to find something, apart from that I cant really say that Ive ever got a feeling of "I so had this intuitive gut feeling that feature X would be here!" apart from past experience with a similar/earlier version of the OS. I for one think Symbian was really intuitive, it just wasnt user friendly :D W8 might not be intuitive, I can honestly say I couldnt go with a gut feeling of where to find a certain feature if it had changed or was new in metro UI, but probaby 95% of those features I love now and think they are better than their equivalent in W7or earlier (and probably most of the features can still be used like in W7 in the desktop mode).
    Nataku4ca likes this.
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Give the guy a break. Wouldn't you have your jocks/panties in a bunch if half your subordinates were idiots?
    Doesnt everyone have that? Thought it was a natural occurence in every office.
  3. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Being intuitive is sort of a questionable argument. I could say that before Win 8 finding Control Panel wasnt specifically intuitive either,but we're just used to where it is in all these years now. Typing "contr" and by that time the metro UI will let you just hit enter and open control panel is just as intuitive as something else, really, it just comes down to people not being used to doing that for years now. If you ask me, it's easier and faster to do than before.

    Same sorta goes for Android's, iOS, Symbian, WP.. There are ways to make things more intuitive and it's sorta by giving visual clue where to find something, apart from that I cant really say that Ive ever got a feeling of "I so had this intuitive gut feeling that feature X would be here!" apart from past experience with a similar/earlier version of the OS. I for one think Symbian was really intuitive, it just wasnt user friendly :D W8 might not be intuitive, I can honestly say I couldnt go with a gut feeling of where to find a certain feature if it had changed or was new in metro UI, but probaby 95% of those features I love now and think they are better than their equivalent in W7or earlier (and probably most of the features can still be used like in W7 in the desktop mode).
    To be honest dont think it will take long for some bright spark to fiddle with the kinect for windows SDK and make windows 8 gesture and voice compatible and cut out the touchscreen
  4. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Find control panel. Intuitive?
    Like Martinmc said, but also WIN+X key from anywhere gives you even more options. There are a couple of apps in store which list shortcut keys and descriptions for powerusers. Or search from Metro home screen and it is one of the apps or open all apps and its a tile. From there you can pin it to start screen or pin to task bar and do what you want whenever. MS did a lot of research and followed stats to find out what people used "search" for and reworked it accordingly. Its very intuitive for me after a little bit of reading.
    Last edited by conanheath; 01-29-2013 at 08:42 AM.
  5. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Like Martinmc said, but also WIN+X key from anywhere gives you even more options. There are a couple of apps in store which list shortcut keys and descriptions for powerusers. Or search from Metro home screen and it is one of the apps or open all apps and its a tile. From there you can pin it to start screen or pin to task bar and do what you want whenever. MS did a lot of research and followed stats to find out what people used "search" for and reworked it accordingly. Its very intuitive for me after a little bit of reading.
    Good job listing routes and shortcuts for finding a program.

    The point was, in previous versions, it -was- intuitive:

    Start...
    Scroll around a little with the pointing device...
    "Aha! Control Panel, that might change my screen resolution, or sounds, or mail accounts, or " etc

    I've watched people (people watching is addictive) at various box stores, and they always stumble when confronted with windows 8 on a display pc. Usually, a perturbed expression is followed by a quick look around for whatever isle they might want next, and the pc is left in whatever state the customer gave up on. I did see a kid plug a usb dongle into one, but had no idea what he did.... and in demo mode at that ! Really intrigued by his actions, maybe one of you knows an exploit ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  6. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #131  
    Ok, I give up. Stick with win7 and don't ever change. If you don't like Win8, you haven't spent any time with it. It is so much easier and faster to navigate if you know what you're doing. If you don't want to learn it, then don't. There is a learning curve to any OS. If you don't want to learn it, then don't gripe about what it won't do when you have no idea what it can and will do.

    Learned behavior is not intuition. This is why toddlers can get around our smartphones better than we can. They have no learned behavior to get in the way of their intuition.
  7. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,393 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,940 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Find control panel. Intuitive?
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Click anywhere without a tile and type control panel - even better just start typing what you want from the control panel and cut out another step. Works for everything else also works for control panel. Is that not intuitive?
    winkey + x, then click control panel.
  8. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts
    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Ok, I give up. Stick with win7 and don't ever change. If you don't like Win8, you haven't spent any time with it. It is so much easier and faster to navigate if you know what you're doing. If you don't want to learn it, then don't. There is a learning curve to any OS. If you don't want to learn it, then don't gripe about what it won't do when you have no idea what it can and will do.

    Learned behavior is not intuition. This is why toddlers can get around our smartphones better than we can. They have no learned behavior to get in the way of their intuition.
    Just what I've seen and experienced, my os's of choice were made years ago. Venturing out to see how things have changed for better or worse is interesting, that's all. Watch people attempt to use w8, young and old... you may find things different.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  9. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Good job listing routes and shortcuts for finding a program.

    The point was, in previous versions, it -was- intuitive:

    Start...
    Scroll around a little with the pointing device...
    "Aha! Control Panel, that might change my screen resolution, or sounds, or mail accounts, or " etc
    since we're on this topic i might as well throw my weight behind this, the philosophy of Win8 is different from the previous version, so if you actually understood that you would try looking in settings in the charm bar when you are on the desktop where it shows itself as an option

    hey, don't take this as an insult, but with numerous users i've had to work with, most of the time when i ask them to open the control panel over the phone, i've had to tell them step by step on how to get to it (in win 7 and win 8 case i end up telling them to press start then type control panel...u'd be surprised how many people are blind...) for most of us, it's memory that makes it seem intuitive, but as with most things on a desktop, they are mostly unintuitive, they are "logical" that is all that is

    i think "intuitive" is getting mis-used a lot in these past few years
  10. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post

    i think "intuitive" is getting mis-used a lot in these past few years
    Yeah - along with "innovative"
  11. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Yeah - along with "innovative"
    I would say every single tech related buzzword has become meaningless this past decade. The words of those developing technology are drowned out by those marketing it.
  12. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I would say every single tech related buzzword has become meaningless this past decade. The words of those developing technology are drowned out by those marketing it.
    Im waiting for someone to brand the next iphone "REEM"

    (Apologies to the majority that wont understand what reem means. For explanation google "The only way is essex" be prepared for a shock - its like crossing Jersey Shore with Jordie Shore and dropping the IQ levels of the "cast" into single digits.)
    a5cent likes this.
  13. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts
    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post
    since we're on this topic i might as well throw my weight behind this, the philosophy of Win8 is different from the previous version, so if you actually understood that you would try looking in settings in the charm bar when you are on the desktop where it shows itself as an option

    hey, don't take this as an insult, but with numerous users i've had to work with, most of the time when i ask them to open the control panel over the phone, i've had to tell them step by step on how to get to it (in win 7 and win 8 case i end up telling them to press start then type control panel...u'd be surprised how many people are blind...) for most of us, it's memory that makes it seem intuitive, but as with most things on a desktop, they are mostly unintuitive, they are "logical" that is all that is

    i think "intuitive" is getting mis-used a lot in these past few years
    No insults taken at all (where's the thumbs up icon on tapatalk?)

    The frustration you deal with, from people that won't even attempt to navigate "start - control panel .... " is a little different than what I'm on about:

    The person with a fresh w8 install has no clues where to "start". Experience with past os's isn't going to help them other than "guess I need to start clicking around and experiment".
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Nataku4ca likes this.
  14. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    The person with a fresh w8 install has no clues where to "start". Experience with past os's isn't going to help them other than "guess I need to start clicking around and experiment".
    that's what i mean, you are basically starting fresh in many parts of the OS since the philosophy behind it changed so much, when i started using and fixing my wife's OSX it was pretty much the same, the philosophy change took some time to get used to (and i don't know why or how she use it that makes it break down so often =..= and i'm fingering HP for the crappy software they make for OSX too...)
  15. LeLee092's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    122 Posts
    #140  
    Not switching to Windows 8 any time soon unfortunately..
    I've had many bad experiences with Windows before, and even though I do have a WP8 and LOVE it, I kinda dont wanna ruin the good streak I have going on with Windows 7...
    plus my computer isnt touchscreen..I'm deff considered part of the late majority or even Lagger when it comes to technology, I dont find the need right now to invest time, money or energy into familiarizing myself with a new OS when like they say "If it aint broken, dont fix it!"
  16. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    No insults taken at all (where's the thumbs up icon on tapatalk?)

    The frustration you deal with, from people that won't even attempt to navigate "start - control panel .... " is a little different than what I'm on about:

    The person with a fresh w8 install has no clues where to "start". Experience with past os's isn't going to help them other than "guess I need to start clicking around and experiment".
    Luckily, you get told that while it initializes the OS.
  17. CHIP72's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by LeLee092 View Post
    Not switching to Windows 8 any time soon unfortunately..
    I've had many bad experiences with Windows before, and even though I do have a WP8 and LOVE it, I kinda dont wanna ruin the good streak I have going on with Windows 7...
    plus my computer isnt touchscreen..I'm deff considered part of the late majority or even Lagger when it comes to technology, I dont find the need right now to invest time, money or energy into familiarizing myself with a new OS when like they say "If it aint broken, dont fix it!"
    I can understand this point of view. Even though I bought a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop and I really like Windows 8 the more I use it, I didn't seriously considering upgrading my desktop and other laptop, both of which have Windows 7 (pre-installed in both cases), up to Windows 8 even at $40/per computer. I like Windows 8 more than Windows 7, but it's not like I don't also like Windows 7. If I had Vista or XP on one or both of those computers, I might have felt differently.


    Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    LeLee092 likes this.
  18. wpn00b's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    466 Global Posts
    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    I haven't upgraded my laptop since the Core 2 Duo generation. There's no reason to upgrade, my laptop runs Chrome, Word and Excel. I don't need it to do anything more than that.
    Probably completely off topic but that's what I use also. I'm sure my computer could be much more efficient but as it stands it handles music, movies, browsing and gaming just fine. Obviously I do't play the latest games.

    As for Windows 8 sales. As soon as I saw here at wpcentral that the 39.99 was coming to an end within 24 hours, I bought my upgrade license immediately. Someone above said that MS should have advertised the deal it a bit more...I agree.
  19. Zokudu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    #144  
    I have 4 windows 8 licenses. 2 free through school and 2 from the 40 offer. I love it.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Similar Threads

  1. My 920 camera is still worse than my 800 after portico
    By dukrem in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
  2. Is the WP8 keyboard worse than WP7.x?
    By simbadogg in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 03:10 AM
  3. Map app search problems? Is it worse than iPhones?
    By nullreference in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 04:46 AM
  4. Surface for Windows RT to be less than $350?
    By jdevenberg in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  5. Nokia No Better/Worse Than Other OEMs
    By Bentstraight in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions