Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
Like Tree19Likes
  1. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #26  
    People always ask me if it sucks. Why have so many people been slanted the wrong way about this OS?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
  2. lancguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    The wait time. Then it usually is followed by what makes yours better than mine and don't give me that bs where you tell me each person has a preference it doesn't work that way. You see it I sometimes find myself in a bit of a jam there and try to escape the conversation since im not a big fan of circular logic.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    I find it amazing how people perceive time differently. Heck even the same person can perceive the same span of time differently based on expectations or experience.
  3. lancguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #28  
    I think we need to be clear these days on what we are talking about. Are we talking about WP8 (windows phone), W8 (windows 8 for laptop or desktop?) or W8 RT (for arm based tablets)?

    Each one has similar and different praises and criticisms.
  4. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,750 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #29  
    Dumbest thing?
    Well, I could share the funniest.

    "Executive 1: So, what's going on with Windows Phone 7?
    Executive 2: People aren't buying it.
    Executive 1: What about the tablet version of Windows 7?
    Executive 2: You know Windows XP Tablet Edition? It's selling just as much as that, sir.
    Executive 1: Now, the real question. Is Windows 7 doing well?
    Executive 2: YES. Why, it's the best---
    Executive 1: FIX THAT, NOW!!!
    And, that is how we ended up with Windows 8."
    -from some random commenter on some tech site

    Well, it's supposed to be a joke.
  5. budney's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Haeven View Post
    My coworker started taking programming classes at a community college. He didn't know much about anything tech so this class has really taught him a lot. His professor talked to the class about windows 8 so I showed him my laptop...apparently his professor didn't know that win 8 still has the desktop screen =/ .
    I just started the Computer Network Operations course at my local CC. The teacher in my Managing Windows class said Windows 8 is out yet, and it needed touch to work properly. :(
  6. The Darkness's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #31  
    Very true, JacksonSQD - this is now a very narcissistic society we live in, where people think everything they do/cook/say/look like, is worthy of being seen by all. To not like an OS because of Instagram = plain silly.
  7. jiayit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    #32  
    WP8: "huh, what! No instagram?! Why'd you get a Nokia instead of iPhone or Galaxy S3!"
    "it has no apps, it's useless"

    W8: "it's so hard to use."
    "it just sucks"

    Mmhmm. The last comment about WP8 pissed me off the most. When will people realize that it's quality over quantity. And it's def not useless. How many freaking apps do you have, and how many do you actually use!
  8. Pontifex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #33  
    It's a kids OS. They prefer the tiles to be on the floor.
  9. Pontifex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #34  
    Also why do people keep posting stuff about WP8? This is a W8 thread.
  10. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    That bugs me too, but someone here at work having a Lumia 920 and Win 8 on his laptop always tells people it is the same. So this is not only coming from ignorant people who don't care about Microsoft, but also from the fanbois, and he really is.
    Why aren't they the same thing? WP8 is incomplete W8. It's W8 kernel on a smaller screen, small device with limitations.
  11. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,509 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Why aren't they the same thing? WP8 is incomplete W8. It's W8 kernel on a smaller screen, small device with limitations.
    Personally I see W8 as an incomplete WP8 in regard of usability. The opposite may apply in terms of features. But there will be many, many people who see this differently, so here the reason why I don't think of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 as the same:

    WP8 runs different Apps, has an entirely different handling, the menus and the UI architecture is not the same at all, it's just a different OS, even though it shares the kernel (I don't know to what extend, so I don't dare saying that in this case Windows 2000 and Windows 8 would be the same ) and the idea of the tiles with Windows 8.

    It would be exactly like saying iOS is the same as OS X.
  12. JacksonSQD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
    Also why do people keep posting stuff about WP8? This is a W8 thread.
    I actually thought the title was "What is the dumbest thing you heard from someone about Windows Phone 8"..
    Since I see more of WP8 threads than that of Win8..
    Edit: I see WP8 as more of a cut-down version of Win8 RT..
    But the dumbest thing I've heard from someone about Windows 8 is probably "the tiles are too large".
  13. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    579 Posts
    Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    #38  
    To be fair, a nice start guide with how the corners work, what the "start" screen really is would be helpful for business and non-touch screen users. Took me 2 weeks to find an article that said to close a metro app to take your mouse to the top of the screen and "pull" it down... that and "windows"+q is a life saver, that is all I used my start button for anyway. that and run which is pinned now.

    Now that I've use it, I won't go back, though I do miss the "open folder" button in windows 7 explorer and windows areo, I really did like the transparencies.
  14. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #39  
    My wife...

    I don't understand how to use the computer now that you changed it. How are you supposed to even log in?

    How do I open Internet Explorer. Is there a desktop? Where's the button? How do I close this? Why did another window open for the PDF I wanted to read?



    After getting frustrated with her Galaxy S III

    Maybe I will take your Lumia.


  15. JacksonSQD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #40  
    The part where Windows 8 is not efficient for businesses is very true. Even after using it for two months and getting used to it, it was still a royal pain in comparison to Windows 7.
    Having to switch from the Start menu to desktop or a browser using the corner was irritating, especially if you misclicked.
    Though I did like the tiles, I still prefer good old desktop icons. Start menu as a separate window was a no-no for me.
    Last edited by JacksonSQD; 01-12-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo
  16. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,451 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    Well im told that windows 8 is not pretty because it's based on primary colors and the ony transparency is the task bar, otherwise its lacking gloss.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    It might not be "pretty", but those transparencies were a resource hog. Not having them in Windows 8 is one of the reasons why Windows 8 is less laggy than Windows 7 on the same PC.
  17. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #42  
    For personal use the new start screen is much better because you all the programs on one screen, you don't have to navigate through sub categories to get the program you want. Its all in your face so to speak. And you can customize what's in your face.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  18. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,451 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCricket View Post
    To be fair, a nice start guide with how the corners work, what the "start" screen really is would be helpful for business and non-touch screen users. Took me 2 weeks to find an article that said to close a metro app to take your mouse to the top of the screen and "pull" it down... that and "windows"+q is a life saver, that is all I used my start button for anyway. that and run which is pinned now.

    Now that I've use it, I won't go back, though I do miss the "open folder" button in windows 7 explorer and windows areo, I really did like the transparencies.
    If you're in an app and want to close it, alt + f4 will close it.
  19. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It might not be "pretty", but those transparencies were a resource hog. Not having them in Windows 8 is one of the reasons why Windows 8 is less laggy than Windows 7 on the same PC.
    Well I really care more about the pretty of the task bar. Its not glossy, but it is transparent. I mean if I want more pretty I could just get the start8 from stardock and maybe get a pretty feature or two.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  20. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,451 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    Well I really care more about the pretty of the task bar. Its not glossy, but it is transparent. I mean if I want more pretty I could just get the start8 from stardock and maybe get a pretty feature or two.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    I agree. I don't care about pretty. I also run Linux, and the Gnome 3 desktop is not something one would call "pretty", but it works.
  21. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #46  
    I just binged gnome 3 and some of it doesnt look ugly, it had transparency like windows 7. It has the task bar at the top. I always have mine at the top because that's the most comfortable position. I don't know if it's a theme or something but I looked at other screen shots and it either looks very dull and simplistic or cluttered. Hmm, maybe that's just a theme.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  22. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,451 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    I just binged gnome 3 and some of it doesnt look ugly, it had transparency like windows 7. It has the task bar at the top. I always have mine at the top because that's the most comfortable position. I don't know if it's a theme or something but I looked at other screen shots and it either looks very dull and simplistic or cluttered. Hmm, maybe that's just a theme.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Probably a theme. There are a lot of themes for Gnome 3 and KDE 4.x.

    Here are a couple screenshots of my Linux desktops.

    This is Gnome 3.


    This is KDE 4.8.4.


    KDE definitely has transparencies.
    palandri and gedzum like this.
  23. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonSQD View Post
    The part where Windows 8 is not efficient for businesses is very true. Even after using it for two months and getting used to it, it was still a royal pain in comparison to Windows 7.
    Having to switch from the Start menu to desktop or a browser using the corner was irritating, especially if you misclicked.
    Though I did like the tiles, I still prefer good old desktop icons. Start menu as a separate window was a no-no for me.
    While I can somewhat agree, I must say that for me the splitscreen function of Windows 8 far outweighs the negatives brought by the full screen start-menu.

    And even generally speaking many of the new functions have my my computer using much more efficient. There are very few occasions where I feel the old Start-menu would've been better, but those are fairly rare. I wouldnt go back to Windows 7 anymore myself. I actually find myself cursing when I have to use a Windows other than Windows 8 :D
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  24. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #49  
    Huh from the gnome desktop im getting the vibe that you have something against Steve Ballmer and windows. Maybe im just seeing things. And the kde looks like simplified vista.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  25. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    While I can somewhat agree, I must say that for me the splitscreen function of Windows 8 far outweighs the negatives brought by the full screen start-menu.

    And even generally speaking many of the new functions have my my computer using much more efficient. There are very few occasions where I feel the old Start-menu would've been better, but those are fairly rare. I wouldnt go back to Windows 7 anymore myself. I actually find myself cursing when I have to use a Windows other than Windows 8 :D
    I would like a search widget on the desktop, instead of pressing windows key + F. I know it's a " charm " but I wish it would be like a black text box.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 210
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
  3. What's The Funniest Thing That Has Happened To You?
    By palandri in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM
  4. What is the top 3 popular apps you want ported to WP7?
    By Frenzytom in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
  5. What I like the most about WP is the little things.
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions