Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ohgood

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts
    Alright..my monitor is acting funny. Used it for a good 12 years and now wish to gracefully retire it(though dad still protests it can work for a couple of years) so I need a new monitor ASAP.

now, the confusion. To get a nice and not overtly expensive touch screen or to get a normal monitor. My usage is going to be very normal. No gaming whatsoever. But need a large screen as the current is only 17". At least 22".
    I have a Windows 8 installed and pretty much liking it. Need to do justice to it a touch screen I feel.
    So will a nice 22-23" touch monitor or a normal desktop is enough for day to day use.

Gonna use it only for:
    Surfing
    Browsing
    MS Word
    PowerPoint
    Reading and
    YouTube

Also, is an AIO touch enabled recommended?

Global Posts
    921 Global Posts
    Get a 40" tv and hang it on the wall.

Then, a wireless kb and mouse.

Next bring in the barcalounger. This, this is computing.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Get a 40" tv and hang it on the wall.

Then, a wireless kb and mouse.

Next bring in the barcalounger. This, this is computing.
    Why not a 65" tele if we're going down that route?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    921 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Why not a 65" tele if we're going down that route?
    welllllll heck ya !
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrexxx View Post
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...
    Yea Del XPS is pretty expensive. Plus I have had a bad experience with Dell. So it is out of my list in a way. I have zeroed down Lenovo C340 and 440. And one from Acer 5600U if I am not mistaken. I am open to HP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.
    I have decided to go with a non touch monitor. Practically everywhere I have looked/asked, people are suggesting against it. So many people can't be wrong. The only thing I will miss is experiencing W8 in its full glory. :(