Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ohgood
  1. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,748 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,852 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Alright..my monitor is acting funny. Used it for a good 12 years and now wish to gracefully retire it(though dad still protests it can work for a couple of years) so I need a new monitor ASAP.

    now, the confusion. To get a nice and not overtly expensive touch screen or to get a normal monitor. My usage is going to be very normal. No gaming whatsoever. But need a large screen as the current is only 17". At least 22".
    I have a Windows 8 installed and pretty much liking it. Need to do justice to it a touch screen I feel.
    So will a nice 22-23" touch monitor or a normal desktop is enough for day to day use.

    Gonna use it only for:
    Surfing
    Browsing
    MS Word
    PowerPoint
    Reading and
    YouTube

    Also, is an AIO touch enabled recommended?
  2. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Get a 40" tv and hang it on the wall.

    Then, a wireless kb and mouse.

    Next bring in the barcalounger. This, this is computing.
  3. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Get a 40" tv and hang it on the wall.

    Then, a wireless kb and mouse.

    Next bring in the barcalounger. This, this is computing.
    Why not a 65" tele if we're going down that route?
  4. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,016 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,019 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Why not a 65" tele if we're going down that route?
    welllllll heck ya !
  5. Jrexxx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...
  6. CHIP72's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,066 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.
  7. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,748 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,852 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrexxx View Post
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...
    Yea Del XPS is pretty expensive. Plus I have had a bad experience with Dell. So it is out of my list in a way. I have zeroed down Lenovo C340 and 440. And one from Acer 5600U if I am not mistaken. I am open to HP as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.
    I have decided to go with a non touch monitor. Practically everywhere I have looked/asked, people are suggesting against it. So many people can't be wrong. The only thing I will miss is experiencing W8 in its full glory. :(

Similar Threads

  1. To Trophy or Not to Trophy?
    By Cybersonic in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
  2. Buy or Not to Buy?
    By nitin88 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
  3. to buy or not to buy
    By ChrisWP7 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
  4. To Imagio or not to Imagio
    By waitemike85#WP in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

";