I finally upgraded to Windows 8 Pro on my laptop another one to go :D

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

I have finally upgraded one of my laptops to Windows 8 Pro and I have to admit I been using it for a while now and one thing I notice is it fast I MEAN REALLY FAST :amaze:

FASTER THAN Windows 7 :amaze:

I also found it a lot easier to navigate through, I love the new task manager with the extra detail which I been wanting for a while, browsing is super fast with IE10 and even faster with my favorite browser Maxthon Cloud browser :amaze:

This is how much I'm amazed :amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze: (ten :amaze: well now eleven :wink:)

So overall incredibly impressed going to update my other laptop this Saturday before the deals runs out on the 31st Jan :amaze:

I will do a better review after a few more weeks of use maybe a month :cool:

Also forgot to mention very easy upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 kept all the application I needed, files etc just very smooth transition :amaze: and I mean very smooth :cool:

Anyone else upgrading from Windows 7 to 8, did you found it simple or smooth, did you get use to it instantly or took some time comment below :wink:

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been running volume licensed version of 8 pro since November and I too have been pretty amazed, now I have been trying to get the normal pro to get media center. But yes I really like it.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded on my alienware aurora R and ran into some issues. Due to the custom BIOS so assuming you have a normal BIOS your fine. If not your gonna have to wipe your computer and I still can't restart ahah. Regardless the OS is well worth the effort.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
im very tempted to take the plunge to 8 as well with the cheap price right now

You should do you will see the massive improvement and while it still ?24.99 it a bargain :wink:

I'm doing my other laptop as well on Saturday while it still on offer :wink:

puredrive07

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I want to upgrade to Win8 from Win7, but my main concern is losing Office2010 and ArcGIS programs. Were all the programs you installed prior to Win8 there?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I want to upgrade to Win8 from Win7, but my main concern is losing Office2010 and ArcGIS programs. Were all the programs you installed prior to Win8 there?
I reinstalled Office 2010 Professional, since I opted to upgrade and keep nothing. I had my personal data backed up, so I wanted to do what was in effect a clean install. I actually formatted my HDD prior to installation, reinstalled Win7 and then upgraded to Win8 Pro without saving any settings.

However, if one chooses to upgrade and keep apps, files and settings Office 2010 will still be there. Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Same for what lak611 said if your upgrading from windows 7 to 8 all your setting, programs etc are kept it does a check for applications and gives you a list of compatible programs and non.

I did the same thing choice to keep all my setting, programs etc some were not compatible which didn't matter I had Microsoft offices 2010 (I think standard) and it kept it when I went to windows 8. For one laptop I had to activate it online again which took a few secounds the other laptop I didn't have to.

Also it will ask you to uninstall Windows Defender don't worry Windows 8 has it own. :smile:

Last edited:

puredrive07

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Finished the upgraded and everything worked out fine; ArcGIS was my biggest concern and that works just fine (ESRI actually had a SP1 update that made it compatible with Win8). I'm loving how smooth everything runs on my Samsung laptop (i7, 6GB RAM, 1GB NVIDIA Graphics card).

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my desktop to Win 8 Pro this weekend and love it. Although there is definitely a learning curve. I Have few issues with Win 8 and some of the apps but will save those until I learn the OS better and might find my answers to those.

But I was wondering...is a single purchase only good for one machine? I thought I read somewhere that it was for up to three but I can't find that anymore to confirm it as I have two laptops that I also want to update.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I think you're confusing it with Office. Some Office versions give you three installs, but not Windows (except for the family pack for Win7 they had for a while).

I have Win8 on a five year old Dell laptop, a two year old Lenovo laptop, and even a three year old Asus netbook. I did clean installs on all of them, and my only problem now is that I feel like I will never be able to justify spending money on a new computer because they all work so well. Windows 8 is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720