- 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM #1
I'm fairly new to Windows 8 on the PC/Tablet but I'm surprised to see we don't already have a thread like this here. List your favourite/most useful apps you've found on the Windows 8 App Store (for the PC/Tablet) and what it's used for and let's see if we can't find some new gems!
My list so far:
News: Sky News (I like the ability to filter the subject I receive news for).
Xbox Music: Sure it takes up more resources than Windows Media Player and I don't use it all the time, but I like the way the app works from being able to see and buy new music to the pictures you can get popping up through playing your own music that makes playing music a bit of a nicer experience.
TuneIn A Podcast/Radio streaming app you can get on a Windows Phone too, really easy to use and it just works. Brilliant.
Bing My Lockscreen: Awesome app that replaces your lockscreen image. You can set how often it changes the image, whether it does it automatically and so on. I like having a surprise every time I turn on my computer and seeing a new image.
Netflix: Streaming TV shows and Movies couldn't be simpler. This app works well and does exactly what it says on the tin.
Those are just a few of my picks, what apps can you just not live without on Windows 8?
Last edited by Muessig; 02-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM #2
- 103 Posts
Great app i found to show the battery percentage in a live tile, shows status, remaining time etc
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM #3
- 103 Posts
Another great app Control Panel
Lets you pin settings to a live tile, shows phone information etc
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express
02-12-2013, 02:21 AM #6
- 9 Posts
Well, definitely check out the following apps...
DI.FM - A Digitally Imported Radio App - DI.FM app for Windows in the Windows Store
Deal Flux - Daily Deal Aggregator (Woot, 1SaleADay, etc) - Deal Flux app for Windows in the Windows Store
HackerNews Reader - Hacker News client - HackerNews Reader app for Windows in the Windows Store
I am involved development-wise with each, but honestly, I think you should check them out as each one is pretty unique.
- 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM #7
- YouTube Downloader (save YouTube video or save as MP3)
- News Bento (RSS feed reader)
- Appy Geek (tech RSS feed reader)
- File Browser (view and manage files in Metro without opening desktop)
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM #9
- 4 Posts
Reddit-to-go: reddit obviously, 1st4fans: best sports app for English football fans, Adobe reader: better than PDF viewer, bank of America: for obvious reasons, mangaZ, khan academy: school tutorials, snes8x: get your Mario on, youtube+, cbc hockey, and finally..pin anything: lets you pin files to start screen
04-09-2013, 09:14 AM #11
- 221 Posts
Following are the 3rd-party apps I've installed in my W8 tablet in addition to the native W8 apps :
Adobe Reader Touch
National Geographic Pictures
Metro Media Player
Windows 8 Handbook
I just want to say that ever since I acquired my W8 tablet more than a month ago, I have not been able to put it down during my waking hours
Windows 8 is so beautifully captivating and refreshing. Microsoft has made me rediscover my geekiness again
07-30-2013, 01:58 PM #15
- 338 Posts
I tend to look for apps that also have a companion app for my phone. One I use for my passwords is Password padlock. Runs on both and share the same Skydrive backup file so when I change something on one device, I upload the file and then import it into the app on the other device.
I also like Skydrive, One Note and Office. Netflix, Crackle and the Windows Phone app are decent too. Ebay also works between devices but I haven't played with it too much yet.
I tried ESPN Scorecenter but as much as I like the WP8 app I dislike the Windows 8 app.
- 08-21-2013, 06:51 AM #16
I really like the look of the Netflix app. The semantic zoom is pretty cool. Metrotube is great as well. Very well presented and functions really well. Added bonus that I can watch my unlisted videos on it.
Quick question though, is Flixster available for Windows 8 in the UK? I can't seem to find it so I'm guessing it is region restricted at the moment.
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM #17
- 6 Posts
for Facebook, I use - Vibe (https://bitly.com/getvibenow)
for news updates - Default Reader app and Pulse
for music - nothing beats Nokia music
for weather - default app is pretty decent
I am not a gamer but i play few casuals games like - pac man, cut the rope, jetpack joyride
for notes - Evernote + OneNote
01-22-2014, 05:05 AM #18
- 89 Posts
Since Windows 8 has been updated to 8.1, I see this thread kinda died. Wanna switch it on back. So yeah, here are some of my favorite apps in my Windows 8.1 machine.
First of all, all the apps that preinstalled in my pc, like People, Mail, Calendar, Music, Video, Photos, Xbox Games, Reader, Reading List, Calculator, Alarms and all Bing suite are really useful and are my favorite app.
So to add more of that, here are my list :
1. Weave News Reader - My number one news reader app. Useful and synchronized along with my Windows Phone.
2. OneNote - The best note taking app, enough said. Love it synchronized with my Windows Phone.
3. Facebook, Twitter - Of course both of these are really useful. For Instagram, I use it in my phone only. 6tag of course.
4. Advance English Dictionary - Have an offline support for dictionary. Helpful for me as a student as I am not a native English speaker.
5. Code Writer - Come in handy if I want to edit .txt document without leaving Metro interface. It is feature completed same like text editor in desktop.
6. Wikipedia - Really, really, really awesome app. It linked with the Bing global search in Windows 8.1. So every time I search something say like "solar system" it opened straight to Wikipedia app without the need to open the browser.
7. Modern PowerNap - This one I recommend you all to use this. This app helps if you want to take a nap for ~30 minutes. It relax your mind. Sometimes I also use this app to help me focus when reading something.
8. Chemistry Lab - As a student, for me this app comes in handy. Provide complete Periodic Table functionality and it give deep detail for each atom.
9. Metrotube - Useful YouTube app. Feature completed.
10. Songza - My favorite cloud music app. Synchronized with my Windows Phone.
As for games, I play 3 of these :
1. Halo : Spartan Assault.
2. Asphalt 8 : Airbone.
3. Project Spark.
So to conclude, the only app I am waiting for is this Windows Phone Central app to come to Windows 8.1. I think I will not open the browser again if this app come available as I see the need for me to open a browser is to browse this Windows Phone Central site.
02-27-2014, 10:11 AM #25
- 934 Posts
- By VernonEL in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 78Last Post: 07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
- By 3migo in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 43Last Post: 06-25-2011, 10:26 PM
- By mark300 in forum App SpotlightReplies: 32Last Post: 03-03-2011, 12:16 AM