Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    When I updating stuff, steaming a video, playing an online game, right in the middle the network becomes limited and it stops working. My home just has a network with passwords (we have multiple routers). This happens on my Surface RT and on my brand new Windows 8 Vizio CA27T-A5. This never happens on my windows phone and on my mac. I switched from a mac, and so far, I'm pretty annoyed. Please help ASAP!!
  2. theprawn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.
  3. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theprawn View Post
    Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.
    I did, still every five minutes when I'm downloading something, it goes limited, then I have to troubleshoot it. This is so annoying.
  4. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Anyone else?
  5. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    :'(
  6. theta orionis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.
  7. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by theta orionis View Post
    FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.
    So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.
  8. Ted Ritsick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.
    Have you tried cycling your router or just turning off wifi for a few minutes? I have this problem on my dumpy two year old laptop sometimes and that fixes the problem. Also, try having the connection set to manual. A bit of an inconvenience, but I found I have the problem with limited less when I manually connect instead of autoconnect to my school network.
  9. Crushing Destroyer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
    Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
    I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
    1. Open Network Sharing Center
    2. Click Change Adapter Settings
    3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
    4 Click Configure
    5 Choose Advanced
    6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
    7 Click Ok.
  10. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    Check my video out on YouTube. You'll see my problem.

  11. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Can anyone help?
  12. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
    Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
    I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
    1. Open Network Sharing Center
    2. Click Change Adapter Settings
    3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
    4 Click Configure
    5 Choose Advanced
    6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
    7 Click Ok.
    You sure this works? I even did command prompt like lak said on microsoft answers.
  13. Crushing Destroyer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

    Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.
  14. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Have you tried disabling IPv6? Dell/W8 WiFi "limited" connection on subnet

    Have you updated the drivers?

    Have you updated the router firmware?
  15. Crushing Destroyer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    You sure this works? I even did command prompt like lak said on microsoft answers.
    I did not and would not touch command prompt to solve this.
  16. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Have you tried disabling IPv6? Dell/W8 WiFi "limited" connection on subnet

    Have you updated the drivers?

    Have you updated the router firmware?
    I updated the router firmware, and the computer is on newest software on stuff. Up to date is what it says.
  17. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

    Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.
    Thanks. So complicated. Didn't have to deal with this on my Mac. But ill try it.
  18. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    From this site:
    Windows reports that my connection is "Limited." This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

    Note

    • PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.



  19. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
  20. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    From this site:
    Windows reports that my connection is "Limited." This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

    Note

    • PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.



    So you want me to upgrade to windows 8 pro? Or restart my router?
  21. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    So you want me to upgrade to windows 8 pro? Or restart my router?
    Try restarting router first. I doubt if domain is an issue, since you're using a home network, not a work network. Upgrading to Pro shouldn't be an issue.
  22. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Have you installed the latest drivers from Vizio? VIZIO Drivers | VIZIO
  23. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Have you installed the latest drivers from Vizio? VIZIO Drivers | VIZIO
    Not from the website. What do I do, install each one?
  24. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #24  
    I need some help.
  25. Crushing Destroyer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Can you let us know what happened when you did what was suggested?

    Also, IPv6 is disabled for me and my speeds are fine...That might be what I did when I was having problems...lak611 suggested that, refer to her response above.

    Give feedback, I wont respond to this thread again unless you say what you did and what the result was.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Install PC Games on Surface RT?
    By BluLuke in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
  2. Why are achievements separate in same game on Windows 8 and Windows Phone?
    By Laura Knotek in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
  3. WP 8 store and surface rt
    By robl22 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
  4. My two cents on Windows Phone and the future
    By videoouija in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
  5. 720p vs 1080p on a 10.6" screen (Surface RT vs Pro and others with 1080p)
    By v10type-r in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions

";