Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I updating stuff, steaming a video, playing an online game, right in the middle the network becomes limited and it stops working. My home just has a network with passwords (we have multiple routers). This happens on my Surface RT and on my brand new Windows 8 Vizio CA27T-A5. This never happens on my windows phone and on my mac. I switched from a mac, and so far, I'm pretty annoyed. Please help ASAP!!

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theprawn View Post
    Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.
    I did, still every five minutes when I'm downloading something, it goes limited, then I have to troubleshoot it. This is so annoying.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.
  5.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by theta orionis View Post
    FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.
    So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.
    Have you tried cycling your router or just turning off wifi for a few minutes? I have this problem on my dumpy two year old laptop sometimes and that fixes the problem. Also, try having the connection set to manual. A bit of an inconvenience, but I found I have the problem with limited less when I manually connect instead of autoconnect to my school network.
    It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
    Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
    I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
    1. Open Network Sharing Center
    2. Click Change Adapter Settings
    3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
    4 Click Configure
    5 Choose Advanced
    6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
    7 Click Ok.
  8.    #10  
    Check my video out on YouTube. You'll see my problem.

9.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
    Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
    I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
    1. Open Network Sharing Center
    2. Click Change Adapter Settings
    3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
    4 Click Configure
    5 Choose Advanced
    6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
    7 Click Ok.
    You sure this works? I even did command prompt like lak said on microsoft answers.
    So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.

Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Have you tried disabling IPv6? Dell/W8 WiFi "limited" connection on subnet

Have you updated the drivers?

Have you updated the router firmware?
    You sure this works? I even did command prompt like lak said on microsoft answers.
    I did not and would not touch command prompt to solve this.
  13.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Have you tried disabling IPv6? Dell/W8 WiFi "limited" connection on subnet

Have you updated the drivers?

Have you updated the router firmware?
    I updated the router firmware, and the computer is on newest software on stuff. Up to date is what it says.
  14.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Destroyer View Post
    So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.
    Thanks. So complicated. Didn't have to deal with this on my Mac. But ill try it.

Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    From this site:
    Windows reports that my connection is "Limited." This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

Note

• PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.

16.    #20  
    From this site:
    Windows reports that my connection is "Limited." This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

Note

• PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.

So you want me to upgrade to windows 8 pro? Or restart my router?

Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    So you want me to upgrade to windows 8 pro? Or restart my router?
    Try restarting router first. I doubt if domain is an issue, since you're using a home network, not a work network. Upgrading to Pro shouldn't be an issue.

Global Posts
    32,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Have you installed the latest drivers from Vizio? VIZIO Drivers | VIZIO
  19.    #23  
    Have you installed the latest drivers from Vizio? VIZIO Drivers | VIZIO
    Not from the website. What do I do, install each one?
  20.    #24  
    I need some help.
    Can you let us know what happened when you did what was suggested?

Also, IPv6 is disabled for me and my speeds are fine...That might be what I did when I was having problems...lak611 suggested that, refer to her response above.

Give feedback, I wont respond to this thread again unless you say what you did and what the result was.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast