Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By unstoppablekem
  1.    #1  
    So I have a windows 8 PC. Switched from a Mac. This PC came with nvidia graphics, but it can only read the integrated intel graphics. How do I get it to show the nvidia graphics?
    Type dxdiag and run the program to verify your PC having the Nvidia Card.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo Ferrer View Post
    Type dxdiag and run the program to verify your PC having the Nvidia Card.
    Nope, doesn't show. Only the intel hd graphics 4000. But I'm positive this PC comes with nvidia GeForce 640.

click windows then run then msinfo32 and then go to display and see if the nvidia shows up. I have a dell xps that comes with a 420 nvidia
  5.    #5  
    It is there.imageuploadedbywpcentral-fo1360994878.233518.jpg
  6.    #6  
    Lak, we need you.
    Developer

Silly question perhaps - have you installed the drivers for it? The driver right now on that screenshot looks awfully "look what Windows found for me".
    This should be the latest if you're using 64-bit Windows 8:
    Drivers | GeForce

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    OP - is that running on a laptop? Am guessing Sony Vaio

Just wondering because the intel 4000 will use a lot less power and has more dedicated RAM than if you force it to use the nvidia 640M LE on its own.

The way it should work is the nvidia card will automatically step in to fill the gaps that the intel hd cant handle. The only thing that will happen if you force everything through the nvidia is increased battery drain with no real performance enhancements.
    Last edited by martinmc78; 02-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    OP - is that running on a laptop? Am guessing Sony Vaio

Just wondering because the intel 4000 will use a lot less power and has more dedicated RAM than if you force it to use the nvidia 640M LE on its own.

The way it should work is the nvidia card will automatically step in to fill the gaps that the intel hd cant handle. The only thing that will happen if you force everything through the nvidia is increased battery drain with no real performance enhancements.
    No, a vizio ca27t-a5 all in one.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by SvanteH View Post
    Silly question perhaps - have you installed the drivers for it? The driver right now on that screenshot looks awfully "look what Windows found for me".
    This should be the latest if you're using 64-bit Windows 8:
    Drivers | GeForce
    I did, look what happened. So annoying. Look at "About Your GPU" and "NVIDIA Installer". imageuploadedbywpcentral-fo1361045512.243821.jpg

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    Perhaps a call to customer support maybe the best thing to do.
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Go to Nvidia and see if there are any updated drivers. You might need to uninstall everything Nvidia then proceed.
  13.    #13  
    Fixed this problem.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Fixed this problem.
    How did you fix the problem if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by BIGPADDY; 02-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPADDY View Post
    How did you think the problem if you don't mind me asking?
    You mean fix? Well I contacted vizio like someone here said and there was a setting to leave nvidia graphics always on, so I enabled that.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    You mean fix? Well I contacted vizio like someone here said and there was a setting to leave nvidia graphics always on, so I enabled that.
    Thanks for the correction autocorrect

It tends to be simple solution which I sometimes overlook however it good to hear that the problem fix

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Your laptop got Optimus Technology. Basically its going to use the integrated graphics card to save power then switch to dedicated when you need it e.g. when you open graphic extensive application like games. if you're going to enable it always, that will shorten your battery life.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpenaflor View Post
    Your laptop got Optimus Technology. Basically its going to use the integrated graphics card to save power then switch to dedicated when you need it e.g. when you open graphic extensive application like games. if you're going to enable it always, that will shorten your battery life.
    I have an all in one, so...