outlook.com account concern on Windows 8

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My initial Windows 8 setup was done using a Windows Live Hotmail account to sign into Windows. Yesterday I decided to upgrade my account to an Outlook account. That went ok, but then the problem started when I tried to rename my account from hotmail.com to show as outlook.com. I wouldn't let me. So I decided to create an entirely new outlook.com account.

After I had done this, I added a new outlook User account to Windows, and then proceeded to change my computer's main login account over to the new outlook account, change my Mail, Skydrive, etc etc all over to the new outlook account. I then removed my Hotmail account from the computer.

Here's what I'm worried about mostly: If I ever reformat my PC and reinstall W8 from scratch, will I be ok using my new outlook account as the main User? Or is my W8 license somehow locked to my old Hotmail account? I have since reviewed my system information screen as well as my Windows Activation info, and I don't see anything at all hinting that it's tied to either a Hotmail or outlook account but I just want to be sure.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The Windows 8 license is technically linked to the PC, not the Microsoft Account you are using. What you will find an issue with is if you had paid apps, video or music linked to the old Hotmail account. They will not transfer to your new account. What error did you receive when you attempted to switch your Hotmail to Outlook?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The error wasn't with upgrading my Hotmail account to an outlook account, the error happened when I tried to rename the account. After I upgraded it, it still showed the extention "me@hotmail.com" instead "me@outlook.com" and I wanted to rename it. Outlook's website wouldn't allow me to do that.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple issues when I first tried to rename. If you have paid apps or Microsoft point associated with the Hotmail that you need transferred you may want to contact Microsoft support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6