Article: Windows 8 blamed for biggest PC shipment plunge ever

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 blamed for biggest PC shipment plunge ever | Fox News

While I think some of this is off, the core message is accurate in my view. People by and large are not jumping on board with Windows 8, and I include myself in that group. I have a WP, and am in the market for a Windows Tablet when I find the one that I like. However, I do not need my PC to be completely changed. If anything, small alterations over time leading people in the direction that MS wishes to go would have been smarter. The emphasis on MO365, SkyDrive, the interface, etc. are simply not resonating with people at this point. I am in the market for a new desktop replacement laptop and have held off because I am simply not enamored with Windows 8. I know many others who are in the same boat.

This is not because I am resistant to change or caught in the past, etc. as tends to be suggested when people don't like something new. I have no problems with my Lumia 920 and actually like it a great deal compared to my old android. Also, as I stated, I am planning to buy a MS tablet in the near future. Its simply that I don't like Windows 8 for a PC platform. I've played around with it at some stores, etc. and simply don't like it.

I'll probably get flamed for this, as seems to happen here when someone is not completely thrilled with something that MS does. So have at it if you must.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've installed Windows 8 on my VAIO laptop and enjoying it more every day. I stay mostly on the Modern side and only revert to desktop, when I have to use legacy programs. I'm hoping some day the Modern side will be powerful enough so we can get rid of desktop UI and its legacy software.

My wife absolutely hates the Modern UI, but that's because she refuse to learn how to use it.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Love the modern UI and the multitasking and snapping apps I use the desktop for file management and a couple other programs that haven't made a modern UI app version

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 blamed for biggest PC shipment plunge ever | Fox News

While I think some of this is off, the core message is accurate in my view. People by and large are not jumping on board with Windows 8, and I include myself in that group. I have a WP, and am in the market for a Windows Tablet when I find the one that I like. However, I do not need my PC to be completely changed. If anything, small alterations over time leading people in the direction that MS wishes to go would have been smarter. The emphasis on MO365, SkyDrive, the interface, etc. are simply not resonating with people at this point. I am in the market for a new desktop replacement laptop and have held off because I am simply not enamored with Windows 8. I know many others who are in the same boat.

This is not because I am resistant to change or caught in the past, etc. as tends to be suggested when people don't like something new. I have no problems with my Lumia 920 and actually like it a great deal compared to my old android. Also, as I stated, I am planning to buy a MS tablet in the near future. Its simply that I don't like Windows 8 for a PC platform. I've played around with it at some stores, etc. and simply don't like it.

I'll probably get flamed for this, as seems to happen here when someone is not completely thrilled with something that MS does. So have at it if you must.

You have the desktop there. So there is no real difference to the user there. The start is replaced but it's just better. You can go to your start screen(press win key on keyboard) and start typing. And this way you get access to your apps and files like you when you were pressing the start button and then start typing.

If you were using the start button to press on it and then navigate to all programs ..... Then you can make groups of tiles(tiles for desktop programs and pin them to your start screen and access them there). When you install a desktop app that app get's a small tile so you can put it on your start screen.

With windows 8 you just have beside the windows 7 the new modern apps and environment. But you can still use it as before. I find it to bring some improvements. You can use a snapped modern app(like Skype or whatever) and the desktop in parallel. It may require some getting used of to use both metro and desktop at the same time but I did not find a reason I dislike windows 8 and want to go back to windows 7.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
More Clickbait

Its hardly surprising though is it. But yet again the journalists and analysts hate on MS and cite W8 as the reason.

The article even points out that PC upgrades are on a 4-5 year cycle which kind of contradicts the sensational headline.

Add the fact in that Q1 sales are always lower than any other time of year due to the previous Q4 holiday season.

What they don't add is how many W8 upgrades were done on original PC's. You don't need a new machine to have and take advantage of W8 you can quite easily run it on a machine that could run WinXP.

Of course its all Windows 8 and MS fault though.

If you don't like W8 your not alone there are plenty of people out there that don't and there isn't anything forcing you to use W8. Its all down to your personal preference and what works for you.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not because of windows 8, smartphones and tablets got very very popular, more and more people chooses them instead of pc.
Im planning to do the same probably when surface 3 and windows 9 will arrive.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
While I think some of this is off, the core message is accurate in my view. People by and large are not jumping on board with Windows 8, and I include myself in that group.

I understand your position. I was once at that point too.

I enjoy the desktop and I enjoy the metro UI. What I do not like is uncontrollably switching back and forth between the two.

I spend 90% of my computing time using developer and productivity tools. During that time, I use W8 almost exactly like I used W7. Full desktop. No touch screen. I've removed the live tiles for most metro apps from the start screen, or uninstalled them entirely. I've configured IE to always open up on the desktop and I've installed my own PDF reader. Nothing I do on the desktop ever "throws" me into a metro app. The only difference is the start screen, which at this point is nothing more than a large and better start menu.

My girlfriend has a touch enabled convertible. She spends 95% of her computing time in the metro environment, as do I when I use her device as a tablet. That too works great. Again, I setup the system so that IE doesn't suddenly open up on the desktop and mess up her touch friendly user experience. The only time she ever leaves the metro environment is when she uses MS Office.

IMHO, the trick is to understand that both environments, desktop and metro, excel at different things. At least at this point, using them simultaneously leaves something to be desired. In isolation and on their own they are great. I do think this situation will change going forward, but this is what I recommend for the moment.

Try it!

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I understand your position. I was once at that point too.

I enjoy the desktop and I enjoy the metro UI. What I do not like is uncontrollably switching back and forth between the two.

I spend 90% of my computing time using developer and productivity tools. During that time, I use W8 almost exactly like I used W7. Full desktop. No touch screen. I've removed the live tiles for most metro apps from the start screen, or uninstalled them entirely. I've configured IE to always open up on the desktop and I've installed my own PDF reader. Nothing I do on the desktop ever "throws" me into a metro app. The only difference is the start screen, which at this point is nothing more than a large and better start menu.

My girlfriend has a touch enabled convertible. She spends 95% of her computing time in the metro environment, as do I when I use her device as a tablet. That too works great. Again, I setup the system so that IE doesn't suddenly open up on the desktop and mess up her touch friendly user experience. The only time she ever leaves the metro environment is when she uses MS Office.

IMHO, the trick is to understand that both environments, desktop and metro, excel at different things. At least at this point, using them simultaneously leaves something to be desired. In isolation and on their own they are great. I do think this situation will change going forward, but this is what I recommend for the moment.

Try it!

This is probably the best response that I've seen to threads like these. Most people that don't like Windows 8 feel that way because they don't know how to use it or manage it properly. When you suggest that to them, they tend to get offended, which is understandable because no one likes to feel like their too dumb to get something. Intelligence isn't the issue here though, it's education, and I blame Microsoft for this. I love Windows 8 on my Surface RT, as well as on my 5 year old Sony laptop, but it takes some getting used to, and a half-assed tutorial like "move the mouse into any corner" is NOT sufficient for people that have been programmed to think a certain way about computer for years. Microsoft really needs to make a better effort to get people to understand the reasons behind the choices they made for Windows 8, and how they intend for their users to use it.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But it's just the new Modern UI, the missing Start button and some changes to the system settings! Why are people so scared of Win8!? Sure, some older hardware is not fully supported, but it's still the same OS -- with improvements!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The market is at a transitional period where the demand is for media consumption and not creation. Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets are just better suited for this. Blaming Windows 8 for this it just doesn't make sense.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Neowin has a good counter piece to this.

The IDC report gone astray, is Microsoft really at fault? - Neowin

And let's not forget that Apple was down 7% as of Nov. 2012.

The whole industry is sinking. Tablets and smartphones are growing because that is what people want.

This is a fair point. Many, if not most, users are not really using their computers for work, they are using them for social media and surfing. Those things can be done perfectly well on a tablet. However, for users like myself who's home pc is also my work machine, I have a different set of requirements.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
OEMs can't come up with anything appealing. The only thing I've considered buying is the Surface Pro, but I'd rather have the Haswell CPU in it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
But it's just the new Modern UI, the missing Start button and some changes to the system settings! Why are people so scared of Win8!? Sure, some older hardware is not fully supported, but it's still the same OS -- with improvements!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

I think it's more than folks being scared. I think its a matter of the average person not seeing a real need or reason to try Windows 8. I upgraded my two home PCs because it was cheap. I didn't feel I necessarily needed Win8. What compelling reason has Microsoft given to convince the average person, who might be more than satisfied with what XP, Vista, or 7, to give it a spin?

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Stardock is your friend: Start8. Also Fences, Decor8, and ModernMix.
That aside, I loved it since CP, still use it... all the hate can just go screw themselves. Just like what people tell me about Instagram and Tumblr.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999