Opinon on the Best Windows 8 Laptop!

anon5954042

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a desktop but for a while I wanted something more portable and since Im not the PC gamer I used to be I have no use for it right now. Im not a fan of the Ultrabooks because of no optical drive. I've also seen touch screen which to begin with I thought was kinda strange but after looking at it a bit more they're pretty neat. So my requirements would have to be an optical drive and touch screen and pretty much just a well rounded machine. The only PC games I play now is StarCraft II. I found this Newegg.com - Acer Aspire V5-571P-6831 Notebook Intel Core i5 3337U(1.80GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD?R/RW Intel HD Graphics 4000. So if anybody has any opinions if Acer is good or if another brand is better or maybe something else. I'm interested to get an idea of what other have had a good experience with. Any help would be great!

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Consider changing "disk drive" to "optical drive" to avoid confusing. I originally read it as you don't want an ultrabook because you want a HDD.

Anyways, how much do you really use your optical drive? Unless you find yourself using it on a consistent basis, not having it makes more sense. I have a Macbook Air right now along with an external DVD-writer which I have used twice I think. Almost everything today can be done without it.

Considering you aren't looking at a laptop with a separate graphics card, an ultrabook would really be the way to go (if you can live without the optical drive). The light and thin nature of these laptops make them so much nicer to carry around and use!

anon5954042

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. Its just I have a lot of media that's I can't download and need optical drive and I've always preferred physical over digital but I do see your point.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. Its just I have a lot of media that's I can't download and need optical drive and I've always preferred physical over digital but I do see your point.

Still slim machines have their advantages (size and weight), I would get an external USB DVD drive. Unless you need it on the road. I even find myself (who is in IT) using DVD drives less and less, when you can get a 64gb USB flash drive for around $30-40, Why would you even want to use a DVD ?

That machine looks ok from the specs, my only gripe would be change out the slow 5400rpm hard drive and put in a SSD and it would make a world of difference. The only problem, if you want 750gb in a SSD, it would cost more than 2 times the laptop does :(

Today, if I was looking at a new laptop of some type, it would have an SSD, no question or I would skip over it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo